Swollen lug nuts!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Shop suggests I replace all of mine because they are shot. (Not a dealer, my go to guy who I trust)

Any suggestions on which ones to get for a 2016 Platinum with the 20” rims? Leaning toward the Gorillas; seems like the best bet. Just not sure exactly which one to get.

Gorillas are pretty good but they will rust. I don't like the special socket needed. I just high quality hex head ones with no chrome covers.

I have a funny. I can't believe this happened but it has to be.
I had a stretch Excursion SUV limo with aftermarket 16 inch chrome wheels and Gorilla lock nuts.
I has just had a wheel off and the 2 ft breaker bar with a new 21mm 12 pt socket I think was on it. (I had lost the special Gorilla one after it being in the glove box for about 7 years. I found a 12 point that fit on good enough to not slip)
So I had a wedding quick 1 hr church to reception run.
About 16-18 passengers. Guys were all younger in 20s and big boys and big beer drinkers.
They had a couple of coolers that we had to get out of the rear area at drop off and some bags /purses too.
I KNOW the breaker bar was in the rear with red carpet and case of bottled water.
Some time the next week I went to get it and IT WAS GONE!!

Looked everywhere in limo and everywhere else.

Anyone sitting in the very rear VIP 2-3 person section can see over the back of seat the case of water etc.

I think one of them took it. What amazes me is since I immediately walk around to the only door people are getting put of when I stop the car...I assume they had to slide it down their pants leg to hide it!!!

Lot of trouble for a 19.99 Great Neck cheap breaker bar from Autozone with a 4.78 Craftsman chinese deepwell on it....BUT I SWEAR to this day that group took it.

Plati

Reaction score
...I think one of them took it. What amazes me is since I immediately walk around to the only door people are getting put of when I stop the car...I assume they had to slide it down their pants leg to hide it!!!

Lot of trouble for a 19.99 Great Neck cheap breaker bar from Autozone with a 4.78 Craftsman chinese deepwell on it....BUT I SWEAR to this day that group took it.
People (being people) will do anything you can think of and things you could never think of!
If BEER was involved the game is upped and the craziness of whatever amplified.
Nice thing is that cheapo breaker bar and Chinese deepwell will break when really needed for them.
Life has a way of even'ing things out.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score

Plati

Reaction score
Has anyone found a solid American-made lug nut that doesn't rust to sh*t in three months? The Gorilla ones rusted in no time here.
I installed Gorilla solid steel chrome plated on my 2014EL last year. Yes, there is some surface rust but to me its still preferable to the OEM cap (or shall I say crap).

I see that Gorilla has (on their website https://www.gorilla-auto.com/) a line of solid chrome plated nuts that they call LIFETIME, guaranteed not to rust. I guess I bought the other ones under LUG NUTS and they are rusting a bit. There are different part numbers and the LIFETIME ones have GORILLA stamped into them so I know I don't have them. Seems like they are about the same price. Its a jungle out there, confusing.

GorillaCatalog2016_Page_04.jpg

I see they also offer nuts that are heat treated. I thought they all were heat treated so I don't know what that buys you or if I should have gotten those. Its too confusing for my undersized brain. But I guess if I was doing it again I'd buy the 60 degree M14 by whatever length my Expy is solid chrome LIFETIME acorn nuts.

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine have been on there for more than 100k miles with Mass and Mich winters. Zero rust.
I'm only in Ohio winters and maybe you have a standard lug nut Standard hex sided. Those should be much easier for them to plate better and to polish. I also like the look of those better. Mine rusted in about 4 to 5 years but they were not garaged at all. Of course my Chrome wheels pitted way before that. I had the ones that have to have the matching gorilla socket to fit and they have 8 or 9 grooves in them like a socket so maybe those don't hold up as well.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m standing at the Ford counter as I read these new replies for guess what.......replacement crap lug nuts for the ones I had to wreck when I did my caliper a few weeks ago. I didnt take the solid ones off the last truck.