Swollen Lug Nuts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trjc3rd

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my lug nuts swelling as well. When they become swollen like that they’re a pain to remove. Normally they’re 21mm, but as they swell they’ll gain 1-2mm. An impact wrench works the majority of the time but not every time. Plan on going through a few sockets because since they’re swollen the nut and socket get stuck together. It’s a pain to separate them to say the least.
On the nuts that the impact can’t get off I suggest using the old fashioned socket/breaker bar method. If that still doesn’t work go with a X frame lug nut tool.
Once you finally get them all off, get yourself a good set of lug nuts to replace the ones you removed. I bought some Gorilla lugs. They’re a bit more expensive but you won’t have the same problem in the future. And yes, 150 ft.lbs. is what the torque spec is. Seems like a lot but that’s what Mr. Ford says it should be. Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett