Swollen Lug Nuts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jenkins

Reaction score
2012 Limited. I went to remove my Driver Front wheel (Change wheel Bearing) and some of the lug nuts are stripped. A little research tells me this is common. I have an extractor, but these things are tight. It seems they swell? Maybe from under the chrome plating?

Most sources say 100 ft lbs of torque, but the Expedition EL says 150!!!! Anyone have experience with this? Will heating them first help?

I have 18" aluminum wheels and I think 22mm or 7/8 lug nuts. I'm reading they should be 21mm.

Anyone have experience and advice on how to proceed?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How many of them can you get off ? Do you have a air impact gun? Probably have to hammer the lug nut on there and then use a punch to hammer it out of the socket once you get it off. Then, like everyone else, go get some Gorilla lug nut replacements for everyone of your lug nuts ( 14mm x 2.00 ). Yes, they're torqued to 150 ft lbs . Not fun on the side of the road either. If you don't have an air impact gun, maybe call around to some local tire shops and see how much they charge to remove the old lug nuts and replace 'em with Gorilla nuts.

Gorilla 14mm x 2.00 Chrome Lug Nuts on Amazon

Last edited:

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They're 21mm, but swell to 22. I took mine off and replaced all of them. It would suck to have a flat and not have the right socket for removal. It's another reason I went with Load E tires...less puncture risk.

OP
OP
M

Matthew Jenkins

Reaction score
I do have an impact gun. I only tried one wheel but inspection shows multiple problems. There is no way a 21mm is fitting on any of them. The stock tire iron will NEVER get them off. I don't understand that high torque spec.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do have an impact gun. I only tried one wheel but inspection shows multiple problems. There is no way a 21mm is fitting on any of them. The stock tire iron will NEVER get them off. I don't understand that high torque spec.

Just be glad you discovered it in your driveway and not stuck on the side of the highway one night ...

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
It's not the 150 ft/lbs that's keeping you from getting these nuts off. They get over tightened or swell up and jam on. Get normal lug nuts and the 150 is never any problem.

I bought tires at a chain store and after they put the wheels on with an impact gun no amount of force could get the nuts off. Their corporate office arranged for a real truck tire company to come and remove them. They had a special tool that used a mallet to apply torque.

The stainless-sheathed OEM nuts swell up when used with impact tools. Get these off - some way - and buy solid ones and you'll never have a problem again.

OP
OP
M

Matthew Jenkins

Reaction score
The outer coating that is swollen seems to be very soft. I will probably heat the really bad ones first. It should free them up a bit.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
If you put everything into removing them and just keep chewing up and breaking the stainless covers, consider bringing the thing to a real truck tire place. They'll have all of them off in five minutes.

JimmyC

Reaction score
I had the same same problem, went to rotate the tires and the lugs were stripped from the tire store.
I ended up using a 5lb hammer and beat the socket back on. Then used a 3’ breaker bar to easily get them lose. I replaced them all with a solid type lug.
Don’t use an impact on them if you have the original it just tears up the cheap steel coating.

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These problems sound awful and I wasn't aware of them 'til now.

I've got a 2017 Ltd bought new in 2018, 42k on the clock. I've only removed the wheels once and never had a problem. Do I have the lug nuts that will swell up?

I obviously don't want to find out the hard way I got the bad ones!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire