Tailgate button sticking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I went it to try this and once I figured out where exactly to push it it almost works flawlessly!
This is happening to mine now as well so I’m finding this technique very helpful and this thread amusing.

StealthyBulldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is happening to mine now as well so I’m finding this technique very helpful and this thread amusing.

I actually stopped in and was talking to my dealer and told him I would have to get it in. Told him I figured it was the trim piece and he said he would just order both a button and trim piece. I said i was just thinking it's the trim, but he figured he'd order both just in case. Honestly I kinda just wanted to try altering the trim piece myself so I could report back to the forum what to do!! :)

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the weathertech cargo mat and no button issue. I do run through a works car wash a few times a week and don’t live in a dusty or wintery area. I’m betting it’s more of a fine grime issue getting through the weather stripping between the lift gate and the body. Has anyone taken it apart or tried hitting it with compressed air?

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the weathertech cargo mat and no button issue. I do run through a works car wash a few times a week and don’t live in a dusty or wintery area. I’m betting it’s more of a fine grime issue getting through the weather stripping between the lift gate and the body. Has anyone taken it apart or tried hitting it with compressed air?
I’ll put some air to it tomorrow and see what happens. Mine has only just started to act up so I may not be a good barometer to judge the air on. I have the weather tech may as well but I’ve never seen any dirt beyond the weather stripping.

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ll put some air to it tomorrow and see what happens. Mine has only just started to act up so I may not be a good barometer to judge the air on. I have the weather tech may as well but I’ve never seen any dirt beyond the weather stripping.

I’ve noticed some fine particles in between the valleys of the weather stripping that I have to blow out about once a week. The car wash I go to has the free vacuums and compressed air hoses.

Pete6114

Reaction score
Had my 2019 Expedition for 2 weeks now. 1 week in i just could not press the button to close it. Guess it was stuck. Tried to close from the button on the dash, and it wouldn't work either. Kept pushing the lift gate button and it eventually worked. Happened a couple more times that same day. Of course it's been working just fine this morning when i went to the dealer and he said to come back when it's sticking again.

Pete6114

Reaction score
Last edited:

StealthyBulldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It would be great to remedy this sticky situation!

*deleted the first part of my post, guess I should drive it more, I always drive my work vehicle! Haha

Last edited:

LostSailor7

Reaction score
Have had same problem. Decided to try WD40 - sprayed it around the crack between button and the trim. After a thorough bath of WD40 to get the grit out, works again. Took only a couple minutes. Not sure if WD40 will damage the switch over time, but for now problem seems to be solved.

jastevenson

Reaction score
If it’s still under warranty can get it replaced. Had mine replaced a month ago. Works well now, I think they updated the part since it was a poor design and a lot of people had the issue.