Tailgate button sticking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fishrising

Reaction score
Anyone have issues with their tailgate button on the tailgate “sticking” and not “springing” back after you press it?

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone have issues with their tailgate button on the tailgate “sticking” and not “springing” back after you press it?
Yes. Started happening about a month ago. Press it and nothing happens then it beeps a few times because it thinks I'm holding the button and trying to set the open height. I assume some grit or something got in there, just haven't had a chance to investigate.

OP
OP
F

fishrising

Reaction score
Yeah, I need to poke around on it as well. Guess worse case bring it in to the dealer under warranty.

TKGracy

Reaction score
Ours had this issue from day 1. Ford is replacing the button next week.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was just going to get my air compressor and blow it out...if that doesn't work I'll have the dealer fix it next time I'm in for an oil change.

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My liftgate is working properly. Didn't know tailgates were an option on the Expedition lol.

Traditional

Reaction score
Had the same issue. Then it stopped working altogether. Had the strut replaced and works great now.

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Will this be a recall item?
I would be shocked if it ever was.
Recalls tend to be done only when:
- problem has high enough rate of occurence
- problem has to be safety related or endanger people
- usually under recommendation of the NTSB

A sticky button for opening the cargo area falls under convenience and not safety.
I think the best hope would be a service bulletin that identifies a competent repair - and then the dealerships will still only provide the repair upon request and only if the vehicle is still under warranty.