Tell me about the 3rd gen Ford Expedition...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do not believe the "real fix" to the cam phaser problem was ever implemented on the 5.4L engine (I can't remember what it is called). Some of the cam phaser issue is related to insufficient oil pressure (leaking oil pumps). It IS on the second Gen 3.5L EcoBoost and some (all ?) of the 4 cylinder engines.

To the best of my knowledge, the new phaser can NOT be used on older engines.

(IIRC, and greatly over simplified, the old design used oil pressure to move the phaser. The new design relies mostly on the resistance of cam provided by the valve springs. Yes, oil pressure is involved, but it is only the "control", not the "muscle". The new design reacts slower at higher RPM, not that you would notice.)

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not super knowledgeable on the subject but I know many post 06 engines go without ever having the issue. Where as 03-06 motors many got it.

Allen Miller

Reaction score
Some of the post 06 engines never see a camphaser issue listen to it when you see it. Listen for a very heavy clicking and ticking.
Ok. I'm pretty familiar with the noise, from when I was purchasing one for my brother... Some of the ones I looked at had this really nasty rhythmic grinding sound.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not believe the "real fix" to the cam phaser problem was ever implemented on the 5.4L engine (I can't remember what it is called). Some of the cam phaser issue is related to insufficient oil pressure (leaking oil pumps). It IS on the second Gen 3.5L EcoBoost and some (all ?) of the 4 cylinder engines.

To the best of my knowledge, the new phaser can NOT be used on older engines.

(IIRC, and greatly over simplified, the old design used oil pressure to move the phaser. The new design relies mostly on the resistance of cam provided by the valve springs. Yes, oil pressure is involved, but it is only the "control", not the "muscle". The new design reacts slower at higher RPM, not that you would notice.)

If ford gave these a real oil gauge in the dash they would have been able to see symptoms but nope they were too cheap. Pressure is either in the middle or at zero when it’s too late. It’s just a switch so you can’t see if you have slightly low pressure.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If ford gave these a real oil gauge in the dash they would have been able to see symptoms but nope they were too cheap. Pressure is either in the middle or at zero when it’s too late. It’s just a switch so you can’t see if you have slightly low pressure.
I have seen videos that show "low" oil pressure at idle. Not low enough to turn on the light, but certainly lower than typical.

But then again, how many "casual" drivers would notice that !

OP
OP
S

scobar

Reaction score
IMHO, it is a waste of money to swap O2 sensors. Somewhere along the line, they stopped installing the replaceable inline fuel filter. New pump ? Fuel ? Oil ?

Thanks for ALL the infos, the o2's would be swapped to ensure we are getting accurate readings, fuel pump would be replaced to ensure we have a strong/reliable unit in place, both for a piece of mind with the blower swap.

It may be as simple as swapping the sending unit used for oil pressure, it may require modifying the cluster.
Example on cluster mod: http://www.sccoa.com/articles/oilgauge.php
The sender swap was popular with the mustang/5.0 group.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen videos that show "low" oil pressure at idle. Not low enough to turn on the light, but certainly lower than typical.

But then again, how many "casual" drivers would notice that !

I don’t know about 03-06 but 07-14 isn’t capable of showing slightly low pressure it’s all or nothing.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam phaser issues in the 5.4 were all cleared up in the 2010 model year you're good from 2010 on. Oil pressure gauge on the 03-06 is just a switch. When you have pressure the gauge moves to the middle when you don't have pressure the gauge doesn't move. There is no actual pressure reading.

The new cam phasers are updated and if your replace what's in your engine you will have the current design. Do follow theoldwisard1's advice and replace everything once you decide to do the cam phasers and timing chains, tensioners, guides, solenoids, etc., but by the time you do that you might just find a low mileage 5.4 from a 2010 model or older and drop that in, because you will still have cylinders, pistons and rings that 260k miles on them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69