The Waze update is out, who is using it instead of the native navigation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Artie

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i love car play! i would use it all of the time IF it didnt force me to use the WORST map app in the world, apple maps. i just cant believe it sucks so bad!!!!!!!!!!! sync nav is pretty legit!
Yeah I don’t understand the dislike for the native nav. It sends the turn by
turn to the HUD which is nice. Apple maps is bad, the only thing I use it for is to add a business to my contact list if I need to, it populates name, numbers, addresses, website..... all that stuff.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah I don’t understand the dislike for the native nav. It sends the turn by
turn to the HUD which is nice. Apple maps is bad, the only thing I use it for is to add a business to my contact list if I need to, it populates name, numbers, addresses, website..... all that stuff.

I am impressed and pleasantly surprised with/by the native nav. I will say that while Apple maps was incredibly bad when it came out, I really don’t have much to complain about anymore. It may be because I live in the middle of a major metropolitan area, but I honestly haven’t noticed a marked difference between it and Waze. My only complaint would be that it sometimes tells me about a turn too late, but I’m rarely using voice guided directions, so it’s a minor quibble. I thought I would miss Waze more than I do.

And I love how when I get in my truck Apple has a pretty good idea of where I want to go already (work every morning, I take the kids to school every Friday so it knows that on Friday morning when I get in I’m not going to work first but gives me a map to their school, church when I fire it up Sunday morning etc) and shows an overview map of that suggested route without me touching anything.

Whole point being: if you haven’t used Apple maps since it’s disastrous rollout, try it, you may be surprised. Again, this may be because I live in the middle of dallas...it may be a lot worse in more rural areas.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Artie

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am impressed and pleasantly surprised with/by the native nav. I will say that while Apple maps was incredibly bad when it came out, I really don’t have much to complain about anymore. It may be because I live in the middle of a major metropolitan area, but I honestly haven’t noticed a marked difference between it and Waze. My only complaint would be that it sometimes tells me about a turn too late, but I’m rarely using voice guided directions, so it’s a minor quibble. I thought I would miss Waze more than I do.

And I love how when I get in my truck Apple has a pretty good idea of where I want to go already (work every morning, I take the kids to school every Friday so it knows that on Friday morning when I get in I’m not going to work first but gives me a map to their school, church when I fire it up Sunday morning etc) and shows an overview map of that suggested route without me touching anything.

Whole point being: if you haven’t used Apple maps since it’s disastrous rollout, try it, you may be surprised. Again, this may be because I live in the middle of dallas...it may be a lot worse in more rural areas.
I do notice the notifications for my usual destinations and the time to get there when I get in the car and that’s neat, that’s usually as far as I go with it though. How would you compare Apple maps to google maps? That’s usually the one I go to when I need to use a map on the phone but I never use either for turn by turn, that’s always the native nav since I’ve gotten this new vehicle, before it was Waze and a Garmin unit.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do notice the notifications for my usual destinations and the time to get there when I get in the car and that’s neat, that’s usually as far as I go with it though. How would you compare Apple maps to google maps? That’s usually the one I go to when I need to use a map on the phone but I never use either for turn by turn, that’s always the native nav since I’ve gotten this new vehicle, before it was Waze and a Garmin unit.

I still prefer Google Maps if I’m looking for something, i.e. a pizza place around me. And I prefer Waze for driving because of its hyper-accurate travel/arrival time (and Waze is owned by Google so they’re one and the same). But 99% of the time when I’m in the car, I know where I’m going and I just want to know my traffic along the way and how long it might take me to get there. For that purpose, Apple is perfectly sufficient and really convenient (for the reasons I posted earlier and because it’s part of the wonderful convenient CarPlay). I also like that Apple Maps will show your progress along the route without giving you turn-by-turn (ETA Only v Guidance).

Tampa Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am new to this car play stuff. When using car play, what is the best way to access the fm stations, right now going out of CarPlay back to the ford screen, feels clunky to be doing it that way.

woody929

Reaction score
As an avid waze user, I got it going in the expy the other day and loved it. I find the native app in the expy to already be severely out of date (like when it shows me driving in the middle of a lake (on I35) - when I’m on a bridge that has been open for a year)

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am new to this car play stuff. When using car play, what is the best way to access the fm stations, right now going out of CarPlay back to the ford screen, feels clunky to be doing it that way.

The best way I've found so far to get back to the SYNC3 menu from CarPlay is to hit the "equalizer" button under the screen. Then you can select which screen you really want to get to.

It's annoying that CarPlay doesn't have a "SYNC3 menu" button somewhere...

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As an avid waze user, I got it going in the expy the other day and loved it. I find the native app in the expy to already be severely out of date (like when it shows me driving in the middle of a lake (on I35) - when I’m on a bridge that has been open for a year)

I was excited to try Waze, and I got it working, but it's very unreliable for me. Many times I plug my phone in, and the screen just sits there "Waiting for connection" or something like that. I find that I have to go into the phone and manually start Waze, and sometimes unplug it and plug in again to get Waze to appear on the screen.

I've also had Waze just quit for no apparent reason.

How do you get Waze started? Do you have it running on your phone first, then plug in USB? Or are you using Android? Maybe it's more reliable than iPhone in this respect...

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
LoL at some of the comments here

I use Waze but rarely, I fire it up when I'm in unfamiliar territory to get the speed limits and any speed traps I might not see coming, otherwise I haven't really figured it out much but unlike Google maps it doesn't seem to give me the option of alternative routes and Waze sometimes randomly suggests visiting a retailer of some kind that's way out of my route

woody929

Reaction score
I was excited to try Waze, and I got it working, but it's very unreliable for me. Many times I plug my phone in, and the screen just sits there "Waiting for connection" or something like that. I find that I have to go into the phone and manually start Waze, and sometimes unplug it and plug in again to get Waze to appear on the screen.

I've also had Waze just quit for no apparent reason.

How do you get Waze started? Do you have it running on your phone first, then plug in USB? Or are you using Android? Maybe it's more reliable than iPhone in this respect...

I’ve done it a few times now, but I normally start Waze then plug my phone (iPhone) in. Once I had the waiting..., I just unplugged/and plugged it back in.

If I’m driving, I usually have Waze running. For 3 main reasons... 1 for traffic, 2 the ETA, and 3 for the speed traps. Even though Waze is owned by Google, with its real time traffic, the navigation is usually better... usually (sometimes it does recommend some stupid turns)