The Waze update is out, who is using it instead of the native navigation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DogDad

Reaction score
I must be missing a step. I've yet to get Waze or GasBuddy to come up on the screen. I have an iPhone, latest version of iOS and the Waze app installed. The Expy reports that I have Sync 3.0. I plug the iPhone into the usb port in the charging station. I'm logged into Waze and Waze is on my phone's screen. When I plug the phone in, it launches CarPlay and Waze is not one of the choices. The Apple Maps replace the Ford satnav. I've removed the Apple Maps to my phone and CarPlay still clobbers the satnav, but now there's no maps and still no Waze on the screen.

Am I missing on how to disable CarPlay with the phone connected?

You have to disable car play off in settings.

1. On your iPhone, open the latest version of Waze.
2. Disable Apple CarPlay because SYNC 3 AppLink and Apple CarPlay cannot run simultaneously. SYNC 3 will remember this setting and Apple CarPlay will remain disabled until you activate it again.
• On your SYNC 3 screen, go to Settings > Apple CarPlay Preferences > Disable
3. Connect to SYNC 3 AppLink by connecting your iPhone to the vehicle’s USB port.
4. Ensure mobile apps are enabled within SYNC 3. Go to Settings > Mobile Apps > Enable Mobile Apps > On, then agree to the terms and conditions.
5. Press “Apps” on the SYNC 3 Feature Bar and select the Waze tile. You will be asked, “Please select a default navigation App.” Select the Waze tile. SYNC 3 will remember your preference on future connections.
6. You are now ready to use Waze with SYNC 3 AppLink. You’ll notice the Waze logo has replaced the Navigation arrow on the SYNC 3 Feature Bar.

Fordalways

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank You Dog Dad. I just made a screen shot of your steps so that I can try this later this morning.

It appears the secret to getting Waze and possibly GasBuddy to work is to disable CarPlay. Reading between the lines, this means I can have Waze as my nav aid, but have to give up listening to podcasts stored on my iPhone through the audio system. Seems like a lot of things work that way lately.

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I must be missing a step. I've yet to get Waze or GasBuddy to come up on the screen. I have an iPhone, latest version of iOS and the Waze app installed. The Expy reports that I have Sync 3.0. I plug the iPhone into the usb port in the charging station. I'm logged into Waze and Waze is on my phone's screen. When I plug the phone in, it launches CarPlay and Waze is not one of the choices. The Apple Maps replace the Ford satnav. I've removed the Apple Maps to my phone and CarPlay still clobbers the satnav, but now there's no maps and still no Waze on the screen.

Am I missing on how to disable CarPlay with the phone connected?
You have to disable CarPlay in the CarPlay menu under the setting tab on the Sync 3.
Hope that helps.

Aquineas

Reaction score
Wife got frustrated by how many times Waze locked up on our cross-country drive (she has a Pixel 2XL). Reverted back to built-in Nav.

Fordalways

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wife got frustrated by how many times Waze locked up on our cross-country drive (she has a Pixel 2XL). Reverted back to built-in Nav.

Once I was pointed in the right direction to enable Waze, I thought this was cool. And then as your wife experienced it also locked up on me after it was running for awhile. Yours is Android mine is Apple. I have the latest iOS and latest Waze. I've given up on Waze for the time. The problem may be with Waze or with Sync3 or even something else. I may try again in 6 months. Your and my experience using different phone platforms would seem to rule out either Android or iOS as the issue.

Aquineas

Reaction score
On the return drive we used the built-in Nav and it worked pretty well. I just had Waze running on my phone below and could hear the Waze warnings. Couple of things I thought would be cool:

1. It definitely would be nice to have a knob to pan and zoom the map (this could just be what I'm used to from my car)
2. If this ability exists, I haven't stumbled across it yet: it would be nice to have the option to show north as up. Again this is personal preference, and my wife doesn't like this, so I realize it's not for everyone, but I like it because it helps with geographic awareness and context.
3. Ability to combine the weather map from Sync with the Navigation map. We were driving through Arkansas yesterday and I knew we were going to hit some bad weather so I kept switching between the Nav map and the Sync map.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1. While there is no knob, you can pinch and zoom to get in and out. But maybe you knew that and it's just the lack of a physical button/knob that irks you.

2. There is the option to do that. I don't remember what it is, but I know it's there. Maybe in the map settings/controls (don't remember what the menu is called). I will check at lunch and update when I figure it out.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1. While there is no knob, you can pinch and zoom to get in and out. But maybe you knew that and it's just the lack of a physical button/knob that irks you.

2. There is the option to do that. I don't remember what it is, but I know it's there. Maybe in the map settings/controls (don't remember what the menu is called). I will check at lunch and update when I figure it out.

It’s this button. Hit it once and you get a 3D map, hit it again and you get it locked with North as up, hit it again and you’ll have it change with your heading. 9fa21ae0614621763b8f8c6a353fb704.jpg

DogDad

Reaction score
Thank You Dog Dad. I just made a screen shot of your steps so that I can try this later this morning.

It appears the secret to getting Waze and possibly GasBuddy to work is to disable CarPlay. Reading between the lines, this means I can have Waze as my nav aid, but have to give up listening to podcasts stored on my iPhone through the audio system. Seems like a lot of things work that way lately.

You can still listen to your music and podcasts through Ford’s Sync system, just not in CarPay mode. It may be a moot point soon anyway. Rumor has it Waze will be available on CarPlay with next major iOS release.