Third Cam Phaser

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine were replaced in 6/22 with 16,600 miles. They were replaced 2,500 miles later in 12/22. Both used the part beginning with ML which was supposedly the latest part.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Why do people keep buying these land yachts with VVT designs? There's plenty of examples of Ford engines needing repetitive cam phaser jobs. Its a well known defect, and Ford could give two ***** about it except to ward off a class action. They try to squeeze every MPG out of a teeny V6 with 8 cam shafts and chains and all kinds of gizmidry and its a wonder that whole basket of crap lasts 60k miles to begin with.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
because sadly many of us need these vehicles, and without getting into it, mfr's are being forced to implement technology like this to meet EPA restrictions, etc. and sadly they are only getting more common, just look at Toyota's implementation of similar tech.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another reason to Change oil frequently and use full synthetic.
Don't disagree as I've been that way with virtually every engine since I used to race rice-burners, but if a toyota can go a million miles with a single timing chain replacement and conventional oils, it tells you that something is inherently wrong with the design on these. At least from a longevity and reliability perspective. Sure, it works fine when you test drive a new vehicle as a MFR for say 2500 miles before you start taking orders... but....

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have trained my wife to hold the gas and brake upon starting for 3-5 seconds to get the oil pumped to the top of the engine before she takes her foot off the gas to let it start. Shouldn't have to do this, but figure it can't hurt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett