Those with catch cans...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't doubt these amouts reported, but it's hard to believe these 3.5's have this much blow by! Even on jlt's Web site they say, if drain at oil changes it should never get full. At 1 oz. per 1k miles. You'd have to empty it atleast 2 times before the oil change.

I've only put around 1k miles on my Mustang, since I installed the Moroso oil separator. Today while out in the garage, I decided to drain it. And it was a waste of time, barely anything trickled out.

So the 3.5l twin turbo setup must have alot more blow by than my 4.6l with a Roush 2.3L phase 2 Supercharger.

This makes me really want to get a oil separator on my Expy asap, but it most likely will have to wait till spring.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I collect more oil from the 3.5 Ecoboost in my 2017 Expy than I collect from my Mustang's 5.0 Coyote with the Roush SC. Not sure why that is, but I've been collecting/documenting both vehicles.

My 5.0 only collects about 1 oz/per 3,000 miles or so.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I thought Ford, corrected the dirty intake valve problem, with the return of port injectors? 2011-2015 are the motors that may have issues. Beware!

Nope, incorrect. The 15-17 Expeditions are the Gen1 3.5TT without Port injection. The 18+ Expeditions have the Gen2 3.5TT with Port Injection. The Gen2’s still have blow by, but should have less coking and deposits due to the Port Injection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
...but not the Expedition which got the old engine. :(

-- Chuck
I purposely bought the 17 model because it had the first gen 3.5 which in my opinion has a good and proven track record. I didn’t want to take a chance on not only the all new platform,body,and interior, but engine, and trans. also for the 18 model year. Now hopefully they will prove to be fine also, but they still have at least 6 more injectors plus their harnesses and fuel rails that can go bad along with added electronics to support the added system. I’m ok with my simple catch can mod and the already proven model.