Thoughts after first tow, and how fast do you tow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gtncpa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I pull an 18 foot 6500-pound (loaded) double axle car trailer when I take my car to the race track. The Ecoboost pulls much better than my 2014

azmoondawg

Reaction score
I pull a 3 axle boat trailer a little heavier than yours. I have about 650 lbs on the tongue. I've been pulling for a year and a half now, almost all towing at highway speeds. Here's what I learned. Take off the stability control. When I hit 70 for no apparent reason the stability control system kicks in. It brakes various wheels as it sees fit. First time it happened to me it was scary, thought I had a catastrophic tire failure on the trailer. The vehicle started moving all over the place. Happened a few more times till I studied up and realized I was safer towing with the stability control off. Second thing that I learned: air up the rear tires their max. In my case that is 44psi. The door sticker has them at 35 psi. This change had a huge effect. With 44psi in the rears the vehicle was no longer a little "twitchy" at speed.

That said, I try to keep it under 70 mph. I towed the same boat/trailer previously for 14 yrs with an 2005 3/4ton 4wd, 8.1 suburban. The 2019 Expedition has 6 inches shorter wb, is a little lighter and the suspension is softer. But it does the job. Gas mileage with the boat behind not much different. Burban got 6mpg, new Expy gets 7. But without the boat behind the Expy gets 16 city, 19 hwy where the burban got 10 - period.

FYI - I pulled the same boat/trailer the first two years I owned it with a 99 Expedition. I had Firestone airbags in the rear coils, and they blew a couple times, but it did okay.

Good Luck

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tow my 25' Airstream - rated for 7,300lbs, but weighs 6,600lbs, loaded and ready to go.

As others said, proper set up in important for any trailer/TV combination. Weight distribution does not mean it has sway control. You need both. Yes, Reese dual cam is a good option- it's what I use.

Set up is not all that hard, sometimes it takes a little time to do all the tweaking. Then go to the scales and confirm.

I'll do 65 on the highway.

Would love to see a pick of your setup.

After talking to my wife and seeing the tank sizes, the 23’ is not an option any longer. A 25’ is in our future. Maybe within 2 years. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Would love to see a pick of your setup.

After talking to my wife and seeing the tank sizes, the 23’ is not an option any longer. A 25’ is in our future. Maybe within 2 years. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't really believe I don't have a photo. A haven't even taken it out of the barn yet due to the lock down. We had a 20' and then got 25' rear bedroom twin. It's the best.

If you want to discuss it, let me know.

Greg Parker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
New member here...

Brand new (holdover) 2019 Expedition Limited 4WD owner. I tried ...and tried ...and tried to convince my wife that she could handle a Ford Expedition (she drives a '16 Honda Pilot now). But the additional size/bulk of it was beyond her limit. (Her preferred vehicle size is like Honda CRV / Suburu Outback size). Sooooo, after a LOT of hand-wringing, I sold my old Chevy Duramax 2500HD and as such, the Expy is now our new tow vehicle for our '19 Jayco 26' camper. It has a GVWR of 6100#.

My Limited has the heavy-tow package and before I even knew it was required, I purchased a Husky Center-Line TS WDH (apparently handles sway control as well). I've researched it a ton and this was the most recommended WDH from most of the RV'ing community and dealer network. (I bought the 800-1200# version, model #32218). Well, maiden voyage with that will be this coming weekend, when we go camping to around 7200' elevation. I will report back on my experiences.

View media item 7185View media item 7184View media item 7186

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tow a 34' airstream, about 9000 lbs and don't like to go much above 65 even with a perfectly set up hitch system. The sway can start to become more than what I'm comfortable feeling at faster speeds.

OP
OP
D

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
New member here...

Brand new (holdover) 2019 Expedition Limited 4WD owner. I tried ...and tried ...and tried to convince my wife that she could handle a Ford Expedition (she drives a '16 Honda Pilot now). But the additional size/bulk of it was beyond her limit. (Her preferred vehicle size is like Honda CRV / Suburu Outback size). Sooooo, after a LOT of hand-wringing, I sold my old Chevy Duramax 2500HD and as such, the Expy is now our new tow vehicle for our '19 Jayco 26' camper. It has a GVWR of 6100#.

My Limited has the heavy-tow package and before I even knew it was required, I purchased a Husky Center-Line TS WDH (apparently handles sway control as well). I've researched it a ton and this was the most recommended WDH from most of the RV'ing community and dealer network. (I bought the 800-1200# version, model #32218). Well, maiden voyage with that will be this coming weekend, when we go camping to around 7200' elevation. I will report back on my experiences.

View media item 7185View media item 7184View media item 7186

that will be interesting for sure

Greg Parker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tow a 34' airstream, about 9000 lbs and don't like to go much above 65 even with a perfectly set up hitch system. The sway can start to become more than what I'm comfortable feeling at faster speeds.

You are a braver man than I for sure. I'm a 60-75% towing capacity kinda guy, but I still love that you're pushing max towing capacity.

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would have to think with this weight trailer that you are over the payload capacity of the Expedition.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

gtncpa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
New member here...

Welcome aboard!!! Great pics of the Expi and camper. We are thinking of getting a camper. We have been watching a show where they give a buyer three options and they buy one. My wife wants a class A diesel pusher .... I want a travel trailer. (I hope I win)