Throttle Control Module on Backorder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonRG

Reaction score
They must be having some real issues with this part. It's on national backorder. My 2019 Expy has been in the shop for 10+ days now and no ETA on part. I escalated it to Ford Corporate on Friday.

Some background. 12,000 miles on my 2019 Platinum 4wd. No issues. While driving on a long trip thru Utah, Nev, Oregon and Idaho I noticed a problem one night. Felt a funny jerk while low speed driving, and suddenly the powertrain light came on, followed by collision assist light, then hill start light, then hill descent light and my dash looked like an orange Christmas tree. Cruise control would not engage anymore and the car had noticeably less power. Turn car off, then restart, lights go away. But it kept happening randomly over the next few weeks.

Fast forward, it won't reset anymore and I take it to dealer. They diagnose the throttle control module as defective and needs to be replaced. Part is on national backorder. First they tell me 5 days. That date passes and they give me another date. That date passes and they tell me they have no ETA for the part and it could be weeks. While I appreciate the loaner Expedition covered by warranty, it's not my wife's Expy which she loves and we want our Ford back and fixed.

Service person said he had seen a few of these already. And there must be a problem for the part to be on national back order. Come On Ford! Get the damn part already. Hate all these fancy electronics when things like this happen.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4 and have not had a problem with the part you describe - however, based upon posts on this forum and talking with a Ford service advisor, this is a high-failure part.

It’s sad that Ford can’t provide a critical part for a 2019 model vehicle.

Good luck.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Parts suppliers get bad batches of stuff. Its likely a batch of them that had a faulty or low quality piece. What month was your EXP built? I’d bet most with similar issues are the same month build date

OP
OP
J

JonRG

Reaction score
Took Delivery in Feb last year. My recollection was it was built in early Jan.

Ford rep called yesterday and supposedly the part should be in this week to the dealer...….supposedly.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone know the part number to this module?

Fun Fact Tuesday: We all know Ford dealers can search the new vehicle inventory of any Ford dealer in the US. Not just vehicles already sitting on the lot, but units that are on order, in production, in-transit, and even recently sold. But did you know that when it comes to parts inventory, the vast majority of Ford dealers only search the multiple national parts distribution depots? You know, the ones that are showing this part on back-order?

It makes sense, I'm not bashing the logic. But there very well could be a dealer in Kentucky with 1 of these, or a dealer in Montana with 7, just sitting on their shelves collecting dust. Maybe they saw an influx of replacements as mentioned and proactively ordered some stock. Perhaps they took advantage of a depot pricing incentive or error. Maybe they meant to order 1 and fat-fingered 12. Unfortunately when my wife shops online, she buys everything in multiples and claims this error is easy and says returning is not practical, so I work...

There will be exceptions to this dealer-to-depot rule, such as national franchises including Auto Nation or Penske. Its plausible a Penske dealer in Florida can see the parts inventory of a Penske dealer in Iowa or Vermont. And its NOT a Ford thing, the same scenario plays out daily at Honda, GM, Toyota, and Nissan dealers.

A solution: RearCounter.com is a bit ingenious in that it is an aggregator of Ford parts from dealers who chose to list their inventory in order to increase sales, regulate inventory, and to off-load surplus while avoiding depot shipping and fees. Small one-store dealers participate as well as larger mega chains operating stores in 9 states.

Personal experience: It feels great to be 'that guy' to call your service adviser and tell them you found several of these back-ordered items. You can even twist the knife a little by adding that if FedEx picks the part up before 6pm today they can have it to your dealership by 10:30 tomorrow morning. You know, if serious about customer satisfaction. You'll get pushback, and I get it, FoMoCo won't warranty claim a part from NAPA, Craigslist, or O'Reallys, but they can and will warranty a part from another Ford dealer. Its more paperwork and probably added aggravation, but we didn't make the bed they sleep in.

TL/DR: type part #in rearcounter.com

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have run into dealers not willing to part with rare parts to non local customers. Which case I can’t blame them. I’d rather my local customer being happy and back on the road than the guy 5 states over who’s waiting on the part because the dealer doesn’t hold parts in stock without a repair order.

OP
OP
J

JonRG

Reaction score
Update. So Ford Cust Rep calls this Friday (3 weeks since I brought it in) and says the part shipped on the 14th (same story they have been giving me for 10 days now) but they can't tell me where it is...…..and the next date they expect it to arrive is the 30th of the month. HELLO FORD - if Fed Ex, UPS and Amazon can track shipments, why can't you. Lame excuse that it came from a third party. I let them know that as of the 30th it is 27 days since I brought the Expedition in and they have had it....while I am waiting for the part. Vehicle is not even 12 months old. IF they hit 31 days and my vehicle is not back on the road I intend to use the CA Lemon Law to force them to buy it back. Love my Expy. But this is ridiculous......lousy customer service. At this point I don't care if they take it off one on the lot......just want my Expy repaired, returned and be able to drive it again.

99Redcobra

Reaction score
what happened?? I have the same issue 18 Platinum 21k . Happened May 25, Jun 2, 3, and twice today Jun 5! All incidents usually happened after a jarring bump except one happened turning left after a stop at a Stop Sign. Pulled over shut off open and close door, then restart it’s gone. I am on Ford pass and have 25 failure message alerts saved!

Last edited:

99Redcobra

Reaction score
JonRG Any updates to this? My Expy has been in 7 days with no diagnosis yet! Service history shows a module replacement at 15k miles It’s at21k now.