Thumping Noise Rear of Vehicle Near Hatch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

barrydu4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2017 Expedition Limited. When I press the start button and right after she starts, I am hearing a thumping sound near the rear hatchback. If you open the hatch and start....no noise. What is this noise? It lasts for only 10 to 15 seconds.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2017 Expedition Limited. When I press the start button and right after she starts, I am hearing a thumping sound near the rear hatchback. If you open the hatch and start....no noise. What is this noise? It lasts for only 10 to 15 seconds.

rear blend door actuator?

Arcticfrost

Reaction score

On my ‘09 the rear windshield wiper doesn’t work and makes this noise like the wiper motor is trying to find it’s starting position. It doesn’t do it all the time but sometimes it will buzz back there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
barrydu4

barrydu4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I brought it in because it's under warranty. It was the actuator arm for the rear a/c. Repaired.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That bad wiper motor will drain the battery.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So how did the hatch affect that?

Maybe rear heat/ac doesn't run when it's open to limit exhaust fumes entering vehicle given the intake is right there by the hatch? Random guess but I'd believe it if someone told me.