Ticking in Motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ticks can be a phaser, loose spark plug, cracked exhaust manifold, secondary short, timing chain area, rocker, broken exhaust stud, etc but they all have their own inherent symptoms. Check them all out or take it to a good Ford mechanic with a trained ear.

Jachniw

Reaction score
Ticks can be a phaser, loose spark plug, cracked exhaust manifold, secondary short, timing chain area, rocker, broken exhaust stud, etc but they all have their own inherent symptoms. Check them all out or take it to a good Ford mechanic with a trained ear.

All true!
Makes me wonder why I love my Expedition and the 5.4L 3V so much???

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A lot of great suggestions of what it could be, probably one of them is correct.

The question is HOW to know?

Get a 30-40" section of 3/4" black hose(yes, I can hear the groans of "damn, he's right"), one end on various parts of the engine/exh/intake, the other at your ear, not in your ear..........go find it! Even a deaf guy could diagnose correctly using this method, he's who taught me!

Once you definitely locate the WHERE, we can tell you the WHAT!

good luck brother,

jeff

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jeff is right, a long screwdriver on your ear or a stethoscope will work too.......old mechanic tricks