Ticking noise from flex plate or converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cutty

Reaction score
Hi all, new member in southeast Tennessee. I have an 06 with 173k on it and it runs very well.
Recently started hearing a ticking or tapping noise under the hood (i thought). Had a similar noise before that I tracked to a loose plug on #6 cylinder. Found it easily with my stethoscope.
Took me a little longer to track this one down but it is definitely coming from bell housing. Pulled inspection cover and noise was louder. Rotated flex plate around and checked all nuts and didn't find any loose or obvious damage to flex plate.
Trans shop wants 600 to 800 in labor to pull it out (4wd).
Today i noticed a slight noise from starter as it engaged or maybe disengaged from flex plate. Anybody have any experience with this? Not knocking loudly or anything and I dont hear it while driving but i dont hear well either! The noise is there in any gear and the trans seems fine. No noise from motor or trans under there, just from bell housing. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Cutty. The only ticking that I heard at idle on my 05 was coming from the cam phasers up front. I'm not really sure what could be ticking on the flex plate or in that area.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you determine if it is the front of the bellhousing or towards the rear where it meets the case?
First thing that comes to mind is a cracking flexplate. Makes one hell of a racket when it finally separates from the crankshaft - nuts in a can with Elvis leaving the building.

OP
OP
C

Cutty

Reaction score
Yeah thats kinda what i have been thinking, cracked flexplate. Can't really tell exactly where. I hate to pay that kind of money for labor, when I was young I would have done it myself but I'm not young anymore!

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your flexplate bolts are not loose, concentrate on listening to rod bearing noise on the side nearest the bellhousing.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bolts can still be torqued, yet the flex plate is cracked. Unfortunately it's tear down time. It's not a real technical job, so maybe you can get a mobile mechanic you can trust to r&r your trans. Hell, maybe he would let you help. Just a thought to save some $.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

Cutty

Reaction score
Strange thing is I noticed the other day is that ticking noise has disappeared! It's a miracle! Now if I can figure out that p0174 code lean bank 2 issue. MAF sensor ordered.