Time for tires, Michelin Defender LTX vs Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking like it's about that time to replace the shoes. Looking for some feedback in differences between the two in performance. I'll preface in that the truck currently has the Defender LTX now, came with it. I do a lot of towing and I know there is a lot of feedback on this site about going to a LT tire, but so far with almost max inflation the tires have performed just fine pulling a 7000# TT.

But now that its getting time to replace them I'm looking at options. The Defender has been a good tire, but it sure is a boring looking tire. Those AT3s look a whole lot better for sure. Now, I live in the land of eternal summer in Miami, so snow performance is of no use, but performance in rain is. How would the AT3s peform in the rain on highways? I could consider the 4S version from Cooper, but then would loose the benefits of the stronger towing capabilities of the AT3 if I'm not mistaken?

Price wise the AT3 looks to be about $15 more per tire. If I replaced with the Defender I can get free installation and lifetime rotation and balance, road hazard at my local Bjs, but won't let that be a decision maker.

Those that have the AT3 XLT, how is it in the rain? Highway speeds? Towing?

Kjhawkeye1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I love my AT3 XLTs. Not loud and handle great at everything I have put them through. Snow, rain, corn fields at harvest and normal driving. Aired em up to 70 lbs for towing as well. Bought mine from Fleet Farm when they had a buy 3 get 1 free sale.
IMG_20191002_094744.jpg
IMG_20191002_094738.jpg

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I had the Coopers AT3’s on my 1st gen. I pulled them after couple years 15,000 miles. They were great in snow but after a few months got loud during summer and on highway they were rough feeling.

Switched to General Grabbers HTM and like those way better but I know the Michelin’s Defender line are better.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No problems with my Coopers. I’m right at the 15k mike mark and they are still quiet.

mnachreiner86

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can’t go wrong with either of those, especially in your climate and for your uses. I’d say whichever you think looks best/deal. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm on the Discover AT3 XLT as well. My vehicle is a 4x2. The tires have been great in the snow and ice I've had to deal with, both in New Mexico and here in Texas lately. I only have around 7,000 miles on them, but no issues with noise. They also handle and tow better than the Hankooks and Sailuns I had on the truck previously. They were expensive, but worth every cent.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For sure the AT3s look way better than the defenders. If their rain handling is up to the task I’d rather that aggressive look. Noise I’m not so concerned with, but don’t want to spend more and get less performance in rain or towing.

Anybody running 20” versions of the AT3s? Go for exact size replacement, 275/55 or get a wider tire?

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run 275/60-20's and it is a good all around size plus there is still a good tire selection in that size.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Both good tires, but the AT3 is going to be better off-road and the Defender is going to be better on the highway. Noise is subjective and also depends on what you're comparing it against. I previously had Bridgestone KOs and I didn't find them especially loud on a universal scale. Compared to the LTX though, they were considerably louder at highway speeds.