Time for tires, Michelin Defender LTX vs Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alex Johnson

Reaction score
I'm running the Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S 22" on my 2016. I have a little bit of rubbing at full turn. So far I am really happy with them in all the weather I have seen. I have about 7k miles on them, since June. Worked great on highway, surface streets, rain and snow. Haven't towed with them yet got the camper out for a while due to work and covid.

shinysideup2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Those are different tires. The Michelin Defender LTX is an all-season. I wouldn't use these for off-roading.
I have the Cooper Discoverer AT3-XLT in 305/70-17 (34") on 17" Raptor wheels. I do have a very mild lift (about 1" all around) and have had to trim the inside of the fenders (plastic only - no metal). I disconnect my sway bars when off-roading, so my suspension does see greater-then-normal amounts of flex. I tow a 6500 lb travel trailer with them at 65psi (max for the 305mm Load Range E size) and off-road at about 20psi. They do very well in the rain compared to my Nitto Exo Grapplers. They are marketed as good rain performers vs other all-terrain (not all-season) tires.

They aren't the most aggressive off-road tire (I've also had Nitto Exo-Grapplers which had better grip on loose dirt, steep climbs), but they would offer much better protection from off-road hazards (sharp rocks) and better off-road grip than any Michelin, and they are surprisingly VERY quiet on-road.

If I had a 4x2 and NEVER went off-road, I might consider a street tire like the Michelin Defender LTX, but I've always found Michelins to be a bit over-priced for the level of performance they offer. You pay a premium for brand recognition / reputation. For other cars, I've owned Yokohama summer/intermediate, General all-season, Sumitomo summer, Good Year trailer & summer, Bridgestone summer, Nitto off-road, BF Goodrich summer tires and have never had any structural or quality issues with any of them. I've just never bought Michelins because they're just not worth the premium.

upload_2021-2-18_13-10-34.png

Last edited:

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Those are different tires. The Michelin Defender LTX is an all-season. I wouldn't use these for off-roading.
I have the Cooper Discoverer AT3-XLT in 305/70-17 (34") on 17" Raptor wheels. I do have a very mild lift (about 1" all around) and have had to trim the inside of the fenders (plastic only - no metal). I disconnect my sway bars when off-roading, so my suspension does see greater-then-normal amounts of flex. I tow a 6500 lb travel trailer with them at 65psi (max for the 305mm Load Range E size) and off-road at about 20psi. They do very well in the rain compared to my Nitto Exo Grapplers. They are marketed as good rain performers vs other all-terrain (not all-season) tires.

They aren't the most aggressive off-road tire (I've also had Nitto Exo-Grapplers which had better grip on loose dirt, steep climbs), but they would offer much better protection from off-road hazards (sharp rocks) and better off-road grip than any Michelin, and they are surprisingly VERY quiet on-road.

If I had a 4x2 and NEVER went off-road, I might consider a street tire like the Michelin Defender LTX, but I've always found Michelins to be a bit over-priced for the level of performance they offer. You pay a premium for brand recognition / reputation. For other cars, I've owned Yokohama summer/intermediate, General all-season, Sumitomo summer, Good Year trailer & summer, Bridgestone summer, Nitto off-road, BF Goodrich summer tires and have never had any structural or quality issues with any of them. I've just never bought Michelins because they're just not worth the premium.

View attachment 40489
I agree with your assessment of the Mich's, mine came with them but never buying them again. "because so much is riding on your tires".............lol. Yikes we could all die if we don't get Mich's !

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I agree that Michelins are overrated and overpriced and I don't share the widely held claims about how great the Defenders are in the snow (I think they're fair in the snow), but they're still my current favorite as a highway tire. I pay about $700 per set w/ mount/balance/lifetime road hazard/rotation which is certainly expensive, but not crazy for a 275/55 R20 tire. I've had Yokos a few times and had an usual number of blowouts and rapid treadwear, so I won't go that route again. I had Generals and those were great for about half their treadlife, after which point wet traction fell off a cliff. The Goodyears I've had were pretty much just mediocre all around - above average noise, got 2/3-3/4 their rated wear, were just ok in snow, etc. The only BFGs I had were KOs. Those handled great and while noticeably louder than a highway tire, were not unbearably so. The big issue with those was treadwear. After 2 sets wore down in 30-35K I gave up on them. I really liked the Pirelli Scorpions, but those wore down in ~35K also. That brought me back to Michelin mainly because they're great on the highway, wear incredibly well (gradual degradation of wet traction and 100%+ of rated treadwear), do well w/ towing for a non-LT tire and have a sidewall that in my experience can hold up to quite a bit of abuse (some of the roads I drive on in state/national park lands look like Sarajevo in the 90s).

Anyone looking for the "best tire" (or best anything for that matter) is on an impossible quest. There are compromises with every product, so you have to determine which product best suits your specific needs.

shinysideup2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree that Michelins are overrated and overpriced and I don't share the widely held claims about how great the Defenders are in the snow (I think they're fair in the snow), but they're still my current favorite as a highway tire. I pay about $700 per set w/ mount/balance/lifetime road hazard/rotation which is certainly expensive, but not crazy for a 275/55 R20 tire.
< $200 per michelin tire in that size is a killer deal!

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

shinysideup2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Off topic, but I would like about a 1" lift. Where did you purchase it or how was only a 1" lift accomplished?
Bilstein 6112 in front (adjustable height).

Rancho in back (adjustable damping, good for towing, but fixed height@about 3/4" to 1" over stock.

The Bilsteins aren't great. Under sprung and under damped... Likely because they're tuned for the f150 which is a few hundred pounds lighter.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
The quality of construction is what you pay for with Michelin’s. The performance is determined by the consumer in buying the right model for the right application.

All season and touring on trucks and for that matter performance on euros there is no better tire made.

I too have had them all. Conti’s, yoko’s, Bridgestone, Kumho, Pirelli and Michelin’s.

For my driving style and environment they’re just superior to the alternatives.

OP
OP
F

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm assuming the AT3 XLTs would have a benefit for towing being a LT class tire? Wonder if I would notice any difference to the Defenders while towing?