Time for tires, Michelin Defender LTX vs Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm assuming the AT3 XLTs would have a benefit for towing being a LT class tire? Wonder if I would notice any difference to the Defenders while towing?

More stable, less squirm and wiggle. Plus reduced risk of blowouts. I towed with them, but not particularly far yet. The improvement was apparent even over short (under 20 mile) distances.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Fine when towing. When not they’ll seem hard and stuff on pavement.

shinysideup2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
LT tires will generally be more durable, but much heavier than their P-metric equivalents. Your fuel mileage may suffer.

For some reason, I thought the Michelin Defender LTX in our stock 20" wheel size was an LT tire, but I see now that it's a P tire. They do make LT variants, but not in our stock size. No use in upsizing if you're not going off-road... especially if you're towing, in which case stock (or even smaller) size will put less strain on your drivetrain and sap less torque (bigger tires reduce torque, acceleration, braking power).
https://www.michelinman.com/tires/defender/defender-ltx-m-s.html

One downside of an All-Terrain tire (vs. All-season / H/T) is that there are bigger voids between the treads, so on-road non-towing dry traction will be somewhat compromised. This has never bothered me, even being a lead-footed / ham-****** driver. While towing my 6500 lb trailer, I've smashed the brakes a couple times (oops!) and have never engaged ABS, so tire-traction doesn't appear to be the weak link, even with All-terrain tires...

I personally really like the Cooper AT3 XLTs - they look nice, they're durable (LT rated, Load Range E), they're surprisingly quiet on-road, and they are capable enough off-road to keep my family and me from getting stuck in most situations - even some that are uncomfortable.

If brand value and your trust in the Michelin name is important to you, and you're not doing any off-roading, then the Defender LTX look like a good choice. It's just not for me.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not if it’s been on the shelf for a while.

True. But every tire I’ve ever bought has been just a couple months old. And all 4 tires have been within a couple weeks of each other.

I have 3 vehicles. All have Coopers. 2 of them have tires made during the noted timeframe. None of them are affected by the recall.

And you don’t know about the update on the recall.

What updates?

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
True. But every tire I’ve ever bought has been just a couple months old. And all 4 tires have been within a couple weeks of each other.

I have 3 vehicles. All have Coopers. 2 of them have tires made during the noted timeframe. None of them are affected by the recall.

What updates?

Nah. Buddy of mine was saying sarcastically that they’ll come out and expand the batch of tires updating the recall to all their tires kinda like what happened to Firestone years ago.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65