Time to part ways???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kdubb28

Reaction score
Hey everybody I believe its time to part ways with the expedition and just want to know everyone's opinion before I do. Mine is an 03'' model Eddie Bauer. It needs rearend work(howling at 42 mph) and the starter is grinding(most likely the flywheel is chewed up). Blend door for rear a/c is making noise. Needs 3 tires. Breaks squealing during a stop. Sunroof leaks sometimes when it rains. It has 196k on it and only a 4.6L(SLOW). Should I let it go and find another one or try to sink money into it? What is it worth just like it is?

picture.jpg

Last edited:

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unless you have some sentimental value that is more important than your wallet, go get another one. With 196K on the wheels, she doesn't owe you anything.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure everything didn't crap all of a sudden so fix them one at a time...get them fixed or a car note for the next few yeara...if its the starter how is it the flywheel? Flywheel is the trans right? What is happening with the rear...gears can be changed for a decent cost...blend door u can do...I changed one of the motor boxes and will change the next one before changing the actual motor but mine is making noise too now...needing tires is part of every vehicle...u want my stocks? Breaks squealing...its time for brakes...the last two will happen regardless...now the sunroof leak is the only thing thay would make me trade it...but others have fixed it on here so see what they did...total all repairs and see if that's cheaper than buying another truck

Holy Rollerz Christian Car Club (HRC3)

EightIsEnough

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like you could put $1000-$2000 into a vehicle worth $4000 or so. Or you could spend $9000-$12000 (not counting your trade-in value)to upgrade to a newer second gen with under 100,000 and in need of minor repairs totalling $200-$2000 but with a better chance of getting the money back in miles.

Should we explain to Freeway how the starter interacts with the flywheel?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Imho, you have to decide what you really want. Like Freeway said, the only biggie for me is the sunroof leak. Everything is just normal maintenance. You can get new rotors and pads for $200, tires you can probably find a deal $500 installed and the blend door for the a/c I think is less than a $100. The rear end and the flywheel would be the biggest thing and you should be able to get that done for a $1000 combined. That's less than $2000 and the only thing left is the sunroof. Unless you have $$$$$ to pay outright for another vehicle, I say fix it. If you buy something used< what problems are you going to run into and do you have the money for new vehicle.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Flexplate or "flywheel" is mounted to the end of the crankshaft. The torque converter is bolted to it which transfers the power to the transmission. Not really "in the transmission" but is covered by the bell housing.

The important thing is the flexplate is surrounded by teeth, or large ring gear, that the starter acts upon to start the motor. If you get into grinding situations the starter teeth do not mate properly to the flexplate teeth. So one, the other, or both may be damaged as a result.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kdubb28

Reaction score
I really want to keep my truck but I could probably find one around 05 to 06 range with less than 100k or right at it. The most expensive thing is the rearend. I have a carrier bearing bad and I was told it required a rebuild totaling $1000+. How would I go about getting that flex plate checked out? The other stuff like brakes and tires I can handle. I just bought a car for my wife so I guess I need to bite the bullet. The 4.6 is my only concern. I would LOVE to have a 5.4 especially for bigger rims and tires.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an 04 with 140k+ on the clock

Holy Rollerz Christian Car Club (HRC3)