Tire Bump...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vin_mac

Reaction score
Hello,

We are currently working on building our house and I have seen a few garages where folks have built a tire bump into the slab. Not sure if I am explaining that correctly?

Has anyone done this? Anywhere I can find the measurements from the front tires of the expedition to the front grill so I would no how much distance this should be?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also built a home. I would avoid a permanent tire bump as you do not know what you will be driving the future, ie, 20 years from now. They do sell rubberized mats with a bump or cheaper still, a string from the deiling with a tennis ball at the end. You never know how much room you may need at the front or rear of a vehicle. I personally like the rear end to be as close to the garage overhead door as possible so I can store stuff in front of the vehicle. Future proof your garage and don’t add any permanent structure to your slab.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've just been using the front parking sensors and stop when the sensor flashes red and I still have 2 feet to the front wall.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We're in our second custom home and both were designed with a raised walk on three sides of the parking area. Latest one was built deep enough to park a crew cab SuperDuty and have enough space to walk around with the garage door closed. We don't get snow here and it rarely rains, but when the floor gets real dirty, you can hose out the center parking area without wetting down anything on the raised areas. If you're still in the design phase, strongly consider 8' tall and either 9' (single) or 18' (double) garage door widths. You can never have too much room in your garage or your garage door openings.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I installed 18' doors when I built my home in the 1990s and it was the best thing I did. I regret not installing the 8' high doors.

OP
OP
V

Vin_mac

Reaction score
Thanks for all this great advice. We are currently still in the design phase. In our current plans I have a 10' X 8' OHD and a 16' X 8' OHD. I need to be able to park an Expedition, F-150 and possibly a Ford Focus.

Do you think this is a good setup? Thanks again in advance!

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IF you have room, you'll find a 18' wide overhead door will make it far easier to get your wider vehicles into their stalls w/o folding the mirrors in...and, once in, you will have more room between the vehicles to open doors. We lived in a rental with a 16'-wide overhead door while we built our current home; and parking an F-150 alongside a mid-size CUV was a tight fit. Had manual fold mirrors on F-150 and my passenger mirror acquired many scratches on the edge from when the wife parked too close to "my side."