Tire Pressure? * Michelin LTX Defender M/S (22" Rims)*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drew47000000

Reaction score
Looking to see what PSI you are running with Michelin LTX Defender M/S tires with 22's.

Our vehicle came with 20" Rims and Toyo's but we recently put on the 22" Platinum Rims and I opted for the Michelin Man!

The sticker inside the door called for 39lbs but again that was with the smaller 20" Rim. Not sure if and how this affects the PSI in the new tires but it made me look into it b/c the tire shop only put in 34 psi and my sensor is warning me of low pressure.

Our vehicle is 4x2. We do not tow and only rides with a couple small kids so hardly any payload 99% of the time.

Couldn't find anything on Michelins website. I assume it's because the answer is more dependent on the type of vehicle and intended use?

Primary Goal: Plush ride (since I now have smaller sidewalls without CCD) and Optimal Tread Wear

Thanks in advance!

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Plush ride with 22s and no ccd isn't really a thing from my understanding for the exact reasons you stated. With that said, I'd just go with the lowest pressure that doesn't have your warning light come on.

OP
OP
D

Drew47000000

Reaction score
Plush ride with 22s and no ccd isn't really a thing from my understanding for the exact reasons you stated. With that said, I'd just go with the lowest pressure that doesn't have your warning light come on.

I think the light comes on about 34 so 35 would stop it. I wonder how that low of pressure would affect wear? Do they wear faster when Over or under inflated?

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Under inflated tires will wear on the outside edges faster and will overheat more quicklly. Handling will also be sloppy with under inflated tires. Over inflated tires will wear faster in the center of the tread and have a harsher ride. I did the opposite of you and removed my 22's and now have 20's with CCD and enjoy the smooth ride. Why not run the recommended 39 pounds and call it a day? If you don't like the ride, maybe the 22's with no CCD aren't for you.

osteodoc08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine are usually 38-40psi. Outside temp affects this. I’m running 22” with CCD and Michelin LTX Defenders same as you. Ive has one that has been difficult to balance. Took a few attempts to get it right. I’ll be switching to something else when these wear out.

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The recommended PSI on the Platinum door sticker with stock 22" tires is also 39 PSI. That's what I've been running +/- 1PSI without issue since October on our 2019 Max Platinum.

OP
OP
D

Drew47000000

Reaction score
This is all great feedback. I was willing to accept a slightly firmer less cushy ride when going to the 22's. The factory 20's just werent doing it for me. I'll play with different PSI once we get back to driving again. Being cooped up like this hasnt allowed me to get any wheel time to see what i'm working with but I think i'll try the 39 as a few of you have mentioned and then experiment with less from there.