Tire Pressure Monitoring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
marlinpruett

marlinpruett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is a picture of my Kenwood vehicle info screen in my 2007 Expedition EL Limited. When a tire is low the green boarder around the rectangle turns red. The dash indicator for low tire pressure also comes on.
In the Kenwood manual it shows actual tire pressure readings inside the green rectangle.
Hope this is clearer.
My question- Is there a way to get the kenwood to display the actual pressure reading?
It gets info and displays actual readings for voltage, engine temp, rpm,oil pressure, and lots of other parameters.
As info, the Kenwood is connected to the expedition OBD
I felt that if it gets actual readings for all these parameters then air pressure should be available.
IMG-5510.jpg

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe our tire pressure sensors just have two signals they send to the computer “good” or “no good”? It’s possible they don’t send any pressure data I guess. Possible the kemwood can’t access it in our model as well.

I replaced my TPMS sensors after a battery died with the AirTex (OEM), so I did a little bit of reading into them but nothing deep.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here is a picture of my Kenwood vehicle info screen in my 2007 Expedition EL Limited. When a tire is low the green boarder around the rectangle turns red. The dash indicator for low tire pressure also comes on.
In the Kenwood manual it shows actual tire pressure readings inside the green rectangle.
Hope this is clearer.
My question- Is there a way to get the kenwood to display the actual pressure reading?
It gets info and displays actual readings for voltage, engine temp, rpm,oil pressure, and lots of other parameters.
As info, the Kenwood is connected to the expedition OBD
I felt that if it gets actual readings for all these parameters then air pressure should be available.
IMG-5510.jpg

When using the same PIDs on the Expy that I used on my Edge for testing it did not work.

The PIDs were slightly different for the Expy.

The things you mentioned are standard OBDII PIDs. The Tire Pressure ones are extended/enhanced. That could be the difference.

Does the Kenwood have the ability to edit the PID?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe our tire pressure sensors just have two signals they send to the computer “good” or “no good”? It’s possible they don’t send any pressure data I guess. Possible the kemwood can’t access it in our model as well.

I replaced my TPMS sensors after a battery died with the AirTex (OEM), so I did a little bit of reading into them but nothing deep.

Did you see my images above, clearly not just a good/bad signal?

Now there is the possibility(Small) that the earlier 3 Gens might have different sensors. But as was mentioned before that would make less sense. It makes more sense that the sensor just sends pressure and the BCM makes the decision. That allows different set points. A sensor that sends good/bad would have to have the set point hard coded and make a logic decision.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you see my images above, clearly not just a good/bad signal?

Now there is the possibility(Small) that the earlier 3 Gens might have different sensors. But as was mentioned before that would make less sense. It makes more sense that the sensor just sends pressure and the BCM makes the decision. That allows different set points. A sensor that sends good/bad would have to have the set point hard coded and make a logic decision.

I’m not saying your 2017 doesn’t send that data, it clearly does. I’m saying the 2007 may not send any data and just be a “good” or “no good” situation. Your right likely not the case, I’m sure the sensors send the data to BCM and the Kenwood can’t access it like a scanner.....just throwing the possibility out there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
marlinpruett

marlinpruett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here are pictures of some of the parameters the Kenwood is detecting. The only ones not detected are marked "x"'.
IMG-5518.jpg
IMG-5520-2.jpg
IMG-5521.jpg
IMG-5519.jpg
IMG-5524.jpg
IMG-5520-2.jpg