Tire time...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just dumped the oem Hankooks lol.
Brand new BFG trail Terrain tire. Basically an updated Advantage Pro t/a which has been a good hybrid tire but lacked siping for good snow performance.

Only have about 18 miles on them but so far ride quality and noise seem to be about the same as the oem squishy car tires. I ran the BFG Advantage pro t/a’s on my Sequoia and they have been really good over all and just ok in snow. So looking forward to this updated tire with serious siping and 3 peak rating.

Attachments

• 3AD41656-B7C0-4C33-B375-A57284D2A2DC.jpeg
    3AD41656-B7C0-4C33-B375-A57284D2A2DC.jpeg
    227.7 KB · Views: 32

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just went with the cooper discoverer at3 4s. I have the 22s so not many choices but I liked a lot of the reviews on here and liked that I was buying good ol USA. So far I love them.

TX-EXPMAX

Reaction score
Has anyone gone with the Michelin defenders in 305/45/22? Saw in another thread that that size fits a stock suspension with no rubbing (or maybe if you're offroad with full suspension travel), but for a normal city driving situation it was fine. This seems like a decent alternative to fill the void in the fender while not messing with any sort of lift/shocks.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have both the Michelin LTX M/S and the Defender LTX, both are EXCELLENT all around tires and actually supprisingly very good in snow and ice (4x4).

I have also used the Pirelli Scorpions, which came with my 2011 and 2014 Expys. They are good dry and wet weather tires but REALLY SUCK in the snow and ice. I still have the Pirellis on my 2011, which lives in Florida year round, but would never use them in an environment with snow and ice.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have both the Michelin LTX M/S and the Defender LTX, both are EXCELLENT all around tires and actually supprisingly very good in snow and ice (4x4).

I have also used the Pirelli Scorpions, which came with my 2011 and 2014 Expys. They are good dry and wet weather tires but REALLY SUCK in the snow and ice. I still have the Pirellis on my 2011, which lives in Florida year round, but would never use them in an environment with snow and ice.

Interestingly, my experience has been the opposite. I found the Pirelli Scorpion STRs to be very good all around in terms of traction, including in the snow. Unfortunately, I only got about 35k out of two subsequent sets and also found the soft'ish sidewalls to be less-than-ideal in cornering. I really like the Michelins, but have found their snow performance to be mediocre at best - well behind the STRs.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interestingly, my experience has been the opposite. I found the Pirelli Scorpion STRs to be very good all around in terms of traction, including in the snow. Unfortunately, I only got about 35k out of two subsequent sets and also found the soft'ish sidewalls to be less-than-ideal in cornering. I really like the Michelins, but have found their snow performance to be mediocre at best - well behind the STRs.
Very typical of Pirelli I have “never” had a set that matched other top brands regarding mileage. After my last oh I’ll try them again experience I won’t own that brand ever again.

Like Michelin they target softer rubber compounds which can be ok for some applications but heavy vehicles and vehicles that travel in high heat regions tend to trash the softer tires quickly.

Michelin tires and BFG come out of the same facility. BFG I have found does more with their rubber compounds regarding more durability and better wear especially in hot regions.

TX-EXPMAX

Reaction score
What you've described about the defenders being "soft" is my exact hesitation with these. Years ago i had the LTX M/S (which i think are the predecessors to the defenders) on an F-150. they were a great tire, but the longevity wasn't there.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had 2 sets of Michelin LTX M/S 2s on my Suburban and the sidewalls dry rotted and cracked on both sets. Think it was from sitting outside in Texas sun. Switched those to Coopers and having much better luck. Still have the 18 inch Primacys on the 4x4 Expy and they are fine but only 22K miles.
Coopers come in AT and more aggressive ATs as well at LT versions.
If a more aggressive tire is desired the Goodrich K02s are very well thought of. I have driven F150s with them and they are very good but will not likely have high mileage compared to more highway-directed designs.
What was the tire date??