Tom’s 2014 XLT 4X4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Although I don’t expect to go heavy 4wheeling with this truck, I was bothered by the utter lack of protection of the front of the engine. If road debris gets kicked up or I am on some forest service road.......

I ordered a skid plate from RCI Offroad:
https://rcimetalworks.com/product-category/ford/expedition-navigator/

View attachment 35095

View attachment 35096
It looks like you are missing some plastic panels and I thought there was a metal one farther back also which mine doesn't have either.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
07-09 Expeditions have a large electric-clutch driven fan with a plastic shroud that covers the front of the engine to protect the fan assembly and it’s wiring harness from road debris. 2010 and forward Expeditions lost the large plastic shroud as they used two electric motor driven fans instead that are tucked right up to the radiator and aren’t in the path of road debris damage.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My truck came with these nasty autopart store floor mats in the front. And the rears, while Ford OEM, are kind of crappy.

I’ve been a fan of good all weather mats for awhile. Keeps snow from melting into the carpet and smelling musty for days. Plus it makes mud and dirt clean up a lot easier. And with kids, it’s a no-brainer.

It is kind of odd that years ago cars would come with vinyl floors and carpet was an upgrade. And/or carpeted floor mats was an upgrade. Now we are paying to effectively go back to vinyl floors.

A9A2F826-0BCB-4250-8B12-8BB050953A6C.jpeg

4FBCEE7B-7212-455C-8935-B72655C14752.jpeg

B6668877-3BB8-4C8D-9983-E5DD70FFBC77.jpeg

BC6045F7-DF13-433C-A328-C1ACE9BFC71D.jpeg

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My front brakes worked well, but made a horrible grinding noise. Weird thing was I could only hear it while going through the guard gate at work (winter time, it’s about the only time I have my window down). A couple times the guards would comment on it.

I’ve long been a fan of Hawk brakes. I had 2 sets of their LTS pads on my 1st gen. Great grip, pedal feel, good cold bite and don’t seem to dust.

Seeing how the truck has 95000 miles on it, I figured the front rotors were original so I also got a set of their Talon rotors. I’ve never used their rotors, I usually get blanks, but quality blanks were nearly as expensive as these.

Install went well. I figured the rotors would be rusted on but each came off without any whacks from the BFH.

Initially I wasn’t liking my pedal feel, it seemed really soft. But after doing my many slow downs and then a cool down drive, pedal feel is back to normal.

And since the weather was nice, I broke out the hose and really washed the wheels- inside and out.

FE286FCC-4B66-4468-8409-D57E3DB1DA8B.jpeg

F192DB9C-A8C5-4A3D-A0FB-BB4077E5D818.jpeg

MasterX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just bought essentially the same truck, even the same 2 tone colors and wheels, its a 2009 Eddie Bauer but its identical to yours looks wise, it also has a blown right rear shock, and also missing the damn tow hooks, WTF?!?! Once corona virus shit goes away im going to put the Frontier Truck push bumper and grill guard onto it though. Mine also has the automatic retracting running boards and sunroof. Body wise its perfect, zero damage, and interior was perfect except some little kid broke the little vent slats out of the two rear roof ac vents, that was an easy fix though. I bought it for the family to use so other then that not much going into it for upgrades, it has ford sync with full navigation and thats good enough.

I have a 2005 for myself thats 4x4 eddie bauer and heavy towing package thats all setup for going off into the woods and dissappearing for a long while, its linked in my signature!

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m starting to check off all those 100,000 mile maintenance items off the list. Today was coolant flush and new thermostat.

After what happened to my 1st gen (multiple failed radiators), I’m a little gun shy about coolant related activities, but I know ignoring it is also no way to proceed.

I stopped by my local dealership to get some radiator flush. They didn’t give me Motorcraft stuff but instead some BG Products radiator flush. BG Products is a good brand so I figured it would be ok.

I followed Fordtechmakuloco’s procedure for flushing a radiator.

In the 2.5 months that I’ve owned this truck, I noticed my UltraGauge displays coolant temps around 180 degrees. Since I believe this truck came from North Dakota, I figured it had a cooler thermostat in it to help warm it up in the winter. I was surprised to see “192” stamped in the old thermostat. I guess 95k miles may have something to do with that. New thermostat in and filled with Motorcraft Orange coolant, the temps hover around 190 degrees. I think I saw 194 briefly while flogging it in a nearby empty parking lot trying to burp any air bubbles.

No pics. Sorry.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was looking at some 2007-8 oil changing videos on you tube and a couple expys had a sheet metal plate that bolted on the crossmember ( in front of the trans) and it is mostly under the engine. Is this a stock part or something they added?

BlueStangGT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not sure that I have anything helpful to add to this thread yet... just wanted to say thanks to the OP for the great documentation and I'll definitely stay subscribed for updates!