Tom’s 2014 XLT 4X4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like a better idea but many people are buying the spring with it so they can just throw it in.

It would certainly make it faster since you aren’t needing to mess with a spring compressor. A lot of people are wary of those things.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It would certainly make it faster since you aren’t needing to mess with a spring compressor. A lot of people are wary of those things.
The compressor doesn't scare me but you take a chance of the spring not being the same and it costs more money.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just read where the original post author said his 2000 was "going through too many radiators." Sounds like it could have been electrolysis. That is a problem with aluminum engine cooling components and gets worse with age as the chemistry changes inside the cooling system. It's fairly easy to remedy though and places like San Carlos Radiator sell several different products that can help prevent it. I'd use these on any older vehicle I planned to keep for a long time.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m positive it was electrolysis. I think using distilled water during my coolant changes also didn’t help. I’ve since learned that distilled water has ions that are looking to react. Soft water is supposedly best, but straight tap water is better than distilled.

Part of me is bummed that I got rid of my 2000. It was paid for and ran well despite the radiator issues. But part of me is glad. The 2014 is an overall nicer vehicle: smoother, quieter, faster.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m positive it was electrolysis. I think using distilled water during my coolant changes also didn’t help. I’ve since learned that distilled water has ions that are looking to react. Soft water is supposedly best, but straight tap water is better than distilled.

Part of me is bummed that I got rid of my 2000. It was paid for and ran well despite the radiator issues. But part of me is glad. The 2014 is an overall nicer vehicle: smoother, quieter, faster.

Paid for is always golden

Last edited:

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The best prevention for electrolysis may be a grounding wire kit. The last time I changed a heater core I made sure to install one since I had to take the dash out just to get to it. That was in a Mercury Grand Marquis and not a truck, but at the time I hoped never to do it again!

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The best prevention for electrolysis may be a grounding wire kit. The last time I changed a heater core I made sure to install one since I had to take the dash out just to get to it. That was in a Mercury Grand Marquis and not a truck, but at the time I hoped never to do it again!

So I did the Big 3 Upgrade. It’s commonly done by guys building car audio (big amps). This mod replaces the battery cables and ground cables with large gauge wires. And I also added a another battery cable from the radiator to ground.

But since I bought it at 174k miles, the potential neglect may have taken its toll. And the distilled water wasn’t helping- even though I thought that’s what you were supposed to put in a radiator.

Live and learn. Bought it for $4000, drove it over 80k miles, sold it for $2000 (spent over $14k in gas and a bunch of repairs and maintenance). I doubt my 2014 will provide that kind of return.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve had this Eezi-Awn platform rack for several years now. This is actually the 3rd vehicle it’s been installed on.

The factory rack came off pretty easily. I noticed an odd “ring” around the factory feet. I’ve also noticed a similar discoloration on the lower part of the tailgate. I think I’ll try some claybar on it and see what happens.

Wind noise has increased. It’s not horrible, but noticeable.

832874AA-B3D8-4B99-9CB9-D34A582197BC.jpeg

EA19E8AB-36E0-406D-AD4B-55980ACF1041.jpeg

813EC645-462B-4BC4-80BF-809813790554.jpeg

1F7B2139-84BA-4416-823B-908C6F9EA1B7.jpeg

4F7CC72C-3120-426B-8DED-636E17B781AE.jpeg