Tom’s 2014 XLT 4X4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is also my first vehicle with Traction Control (not including the wife’s Escape). Closest I came before was the Controltrac on my Explorer and Expedition.

Today the roads were slippery with snow and slush. The TCS really knows how to suck the fun out of winter driving. Try to get it sideways around a corner- NOPE! Even turning it off doesn’t fully turn it off. But it did do a good job otherwise. I can see how inexperienced drivers can get overconfident and wind up crashing with TCS doing too much for them.

My well worn Grabbers did pretty well with the aide of the TCS.

Not sure if the earlier ones are the same but my 16 you can disable traction control by holding it in for 5 seconds. Unfortunately it automatically comes back on at 35mph.

I have read but not tested that if you hold it for 5 seconds above 35mph it will stay off until the button is pressed again.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tom, did you look at the Navigators when you looked for an upgrade? More bling (if you like that) and they are 90% Expy plus they can be had for a good price used. There are a few differences like the H I D headlight, more options, etc.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ran a couple searches for them but wasn’t finding much local that I liked.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In an unfortunate coincidence, the torsion spring on my garage door broke just before some snow and cold weather set in. I gave up my spot in the 3 car garage to my wife while I wait for the replacement spring to arrive. As such, my Expedition has sat on the driveway in single digit temps. This morning, the coldest morning so far, after I had gone through the guard gate at work, the driver window was incredibly slow to go back up- like took several button pulls to get it up. I think the motor amp’d out and I had redo the window up button. Outside temp was about 2*F. Anyone had a similar issue?

Spring should be delivered today.

I also had to push the driver door open from the passenger side- it was frozen shut.

And of course the windshield washer was frozen. I installed a washer heater on my 1st gen. Never had an issue when it was cold.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In an unfortunate coincidence, the torsion spring on my garage door broke just before some snow and cold weather set in. I gave up my spot in the 3 car garage to my wife while I wait for the replacement spring to arrive. As such, my Expedition has sat on the driveway in single digit temps. This morning, the coldest morning so far, after I had gone through the guard gate at work, the driver window was incredibly slow to go back up- like took several button pulls to get it up. I think the motor amp’d out and I had redo the window up button. Outside temp was about 2*F. Anyone had a similar issue?

Spring should be delivered today.

I also had to push the driver door open from the passenger side- it was frozen shut.

And of course the windshield washer was frozen. I installed a washer heater on my 1st gen. Never had an issue when it was cold.

Both of my Expeditions have had freezing doors/windows on the very cold winter days *IF it recently rained/snowmelt or carwash* before the freeze. After the cabin heats up to temp everything works properly. It seems the window seals let a fair amount of water through the door panel on the 2nd and 3rd gens.

Last edited:

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Excursion was horrible with freezing doors even after I dowsed all around them with non-freezing lithium grease.
Those windows are slower when cold but spray the tracks with silicone.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I bought my Expedition, it didn’t have tow hooks. It looked as though it had a grill guard and the tow hooks got removed when that was installed. Some gates in oil fields have latches that are actuated by hitting it with your truck.

While at the local junkyard getting some parts to sell my 1st gen, I came across a wrecked EL that had it’s tow hooks. I grabbed them and hit them with some black Duplicolor Ceramic Brake Caliper paint. The ceramic paint seems to be a little more durable than regular paint.

Simple “upgrade”.

1973D3B6-ED8C-43EF-92E2-3662CA5501CB.jpeg

DC1E2B0F-D945-439C-85BD-6C128FE16C35.jpeg

85B70417-5F47-42CC-BE8F-831C64D1958F.jpeg

0D96F37F-CD07-49A5-8F3A-FBE831A75724.jpeg

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I bought my Expedition, it didn’t have tow hooks. It looked as though it had a grill guard and the tow hooks got removed when that was installed. Some gates in oil fields have latches that are actuated by hitting it with your truck.

While at the local junkyard getting some parts to sell my 1st gen, I came across a wrecked EL that had it’s tow hooks. I grabbed them and hit them with some black Duplicolor Ceramic Brake Caliper paint. The ceramic paint seems to be a little more durable than regular paint.

Simple “upgrade”.

View attachment 34299

View attachment 34300

View attachment 34301

View attachment 34302
Nice to have when you get towed out of a ditch etc. Good find.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I knew my shocks were original and noticed some clunks and bumps going over bumps in the road. The right rear seemed especially bad.

I decided to go with a full set of the Bilstein 5100 height adjustable shocks.

Installation was...... involved. It’s mostly just what I call a “nut and bolt” type installation- one where you just need to remove a bunch of nuts and bolts. Of course there is the added fun of the spring compressors, but I’ve swapped plenty of springs before.

The issue came in the rear. Part of the install is to swap over the lower spring seat. I removed the coilover and got the spring off. I started pounding away at the lower seat but it’s not budging. It was pretty dirty and there is some rust on components here and there so I thought maybe it was just rust holding it on. After a closer look, it looked as though the lower seat was welded on. Crap! An even closer look revealed that the shock I pulled out was fatter than the Bilstein slated to go in. Even if I got the seat off, it wouldn’t fit.

I put all my hopes on that mine had some kind of unique suspension and something at the junkyard would work. So off to the junkyard I went. I found a 2010 with the skinny rear shocks. I pulled those out pretty quickly and easily. All I really needed was the lower spring seat, spring and upper mount, but I bought the 2 complete assemblies. For $35 I can’t complain too much.

However, the 2010 springs are thicker in diameter than my 2014 springs- which probably means they also have a higher spring rate.

The rest of the install went fine. The right rear was totally blown and leaking fluid. One of the front had good compression control but had a really quick rebound.

I set all the clips on the Bilsteins to their highest position. I think the 2010 springs caused the rear to set a little high.

Resulting ride is MUCH improved. Feels like a truck- but in a good way. 606B8081-1C8B-4F8E-97EA-78CC823C212B.jpegFCFE6E0E-F4F8-4A4C-A598-40E8B29DB9BD.jpegB52491C4-6E12-4638-834A-20E8B62C36A3.jpeg4AF71005-75B0-4214-88DF-1E6D1AB17E1C.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360