Towing - 2007 Expedition EL Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keith Kyker

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2007 Expedition EL Limited. I am enjoying it very much.

I would like to know how much I can tow with this vehicle. Is the towing package standard? If not, how do I tell if I have the towing package?

Thank you in advance.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would like to know how much I can tow with this vehicle. Is the towing package standard? If not, how do I tell if I have the towing package?

How much you can tow is on the door info card (inside the drivers door edge)

Do you have a 7-pin or 4-pin wire hookup for the trailer?
Do you have a trailer brake control?
Do you have a transmission cooler? (lines going from tranny to front of radiator)

Welcome to the forum.

OP
OP
Keith Kyker

Keith Kyker

Reaction score
Yupster Dog -

Thanks for replying.

Image of info card attached.
4-pin wire hookup
No evidence of trailer brake
Unknown about transmission cooler.

Thanks!

View media item 7235

Last edited:

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yupster Dog -

Thanks for replying.

Image of info card attached.
4-pin wire hookup
No evidence of trailer brake
Unknown about transmission cooler.

Can't see pic
you do not have HD tow package if you have the 4-pin

Helpful tip: If you do not hit the Quote button the person you reply to will not get an alert.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thank you. I changed permissions on the pic. Maybe you can see it now.

The gross vehicle weight rating is 7900lbs, Your truck with everything (and everybody) in it and whatever you are towing should not exceed that amount.

The front GAWR and rear GAWR is how much each axle is rated for.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Isn’t GVWR vehicle weight + payload (passengers, equipment, tongue weight(as applicable)? I thought standard tow rating was 6000# give or take for these trucks without HD tow, and 9200# or 9300# (with weight distributing hitch) for HD tow, depending on 4x4 or not. The payload/tongue weight is often the limiter for these vehicles, rather than upper limit of 9000+#.

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/towing-jargon.3429/

OP
OP
Keith Kyker

Keith Kyker

Reaction score
Isn’t GVWR vehicle weight + payload (passengers, equipment, tongue weight(as applicable)? I thought standard tow rating was 6000# give or take for these trucks without HD tow, and 9200# or 9300# (with weight distributing hitch) for HD tow, depending on 4x4 or not. The payload/tongue weight is often the limiter for these vehicles, rather than upper limit of 9000+#.

Thanks to everyone. I am still a bit confused, but I will investigate further.

According to the internet, the vehicle itself weighs about 6,000 pounds. Add five healthy adults and their luggage, and it seems like we'd be reasonably close to the 7900 GVWR on the card. So that would mean I could tow....just about nothing. I will continue to investigate.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone. I am still a bit confused, but I will investigate further.

According to the internet, the vehicle itself weighs about 6,000 pounds. Add five healthy adults and their luggage, and it seems like we'd be reasonably close to the 7900 GVWR on the card. So that would mean I could tow....just about nothing. I will continue to investigate.

My understanding of it, is that with a full load of passengers, you will be very near payload capacity. If, for example, you have a 3000# trailer, your tongue weight should be 10-15% of that, so between 300-450#. You need to be mindful that your payload (passengers/gear INSIDE the expedition) + tongue weight + unloaded vehicle weight (UVW), also known as “curb weight”, doesn’t put you over the GVWR, 7900#, in your case. Without HD tow, I believe yours will be rated to tow around 6000#, check the Ford tow guide for your year online for your specific model/build options. Weight of passengers and gear + tongue weight will likely be what decides how heavy of a trailer you can safely/legally tow.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Thank you @Langer for getting the correct information out there.