Towing Advice Please - Considering Aftermarket Modifications

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why would you be going slow. We have the EcoBoost. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you get stuck behind a Denali on a steep winding road...

This year, I didn't get stuck behind anyone and went a little over the speed limit (35 in a 25) and didn't have any issues like last year when I was behind a slow mover and had to go 25. Once I hit the dirt I put it in 4lo and temps dropped super fast.

I will say my brothers chevy pickup suffered much higher temps than the expedition under the same circumstances. We also saw a guy getting towed out (nissan) that pushed a little too hard up the hills.

Thomas Nepper

Reaction score
Just remember if you are in an accident with it your insurance will not cover you if you are exceeding your max tow rating and/or GCWR. You will probably be alright from a payload perspective. Also you won't have warranty coverage on anything that fails due to towing over the rated amount.

Thomas Nepper

Reaction score
Simply not true, insurance is fine. Would your insurance cover you if you were speeding -yes. If you were driving drunk -yes. If your windows were over tinted -yes. If your overweight -yes

lurch

Reaction score
Simply not true, insurance is fine. Would your insurance cover you if you were speeding -yes. If you were driving drunk -yes. If your windows were over tinted -yes. If your overweight -yes

In most states insurance has to pay to cover your liability from illegal acts but they do not need to cover your costs. So if you damage someone else's property or injure someone your insurance will compensate them. But you are on your own for your own property and injuries.

That being said if you are close to your limits I don't think the police are going to be taking their time to weigh your vehicle and trailer for evidence. As a non commercial vehicle you would have to be doing something very silly for your GVWR to become an issue.

LovinPSDs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My brother is a high profile insurance adjuster.... he said if you’re in the wheel house they wouldn’t even question it.... BUT someone could... especially if you involved someone else’s life. I don’t condone it, just passing along. Don’t buy to big of a camper period...