Towing and offroading impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I noticed this too. I don't like that it applies the brakes, at least as much as it does. I can't tell if it also applies the trailer brakes as well but I assume it does. IMHO it stayed on the brakes far too long for my comfort. Trailer drum brakes just don't handle prolonged braking like that very well.

We did Raton Pass this year going to/from CA. Good times.

I took off cruise control but the default shifting while in tow-haul was not restrictive enough for me and I'd steadily gain speed, requiring frequent brake applications. I started manually downshifting using the + and - buttons and usually had to drop 1-2 gears beyond where the computer had it in order to hold downhill speed. I tried to keep it no more than 3300 rpm.

Overall I'm a little disappointed in the downhill experience. I like that if you tap the brake it'll often drop a gear, but it seems to not do it beyond 2500-2800 rpm, which on the steeper grades isn't enough. And yes I slow down before the descent.

Is it bad to let it rev at 3500 rpm for extended downgrades?

That is interesting, there weren't a lot of really steep long grades on my recent trip, so I will be curious to see what it does when I do some of those. I felt the engine/transmission was doing a good job holding it back. If I braked a little it would down shift to match that speed and then hold it pretty good at that speed until I pressed the gas.

I wouldn't think there is any issues with the engine at 3500rpm while holding the load back, that is the engine holding it back. That is what I would experience in a manual transmission truck while engine braking. I am not 100% certain how these nefangled direct injection computer controls everything engines work in this case but typically it when you let off the accelerator it closes the thottle body valve which creates a vacuum and slows fuel delivery and the engine is trying to suck air which causes the drivetrain to slow down. In typical automatic transmissions it basically just freewheels/coasts but if the transmission programming can keep it engaged the vehicle will slow down or maintain a speed (depending on programming). That all said, the programming still might not be perfect since it can't see what you can see (tight turns, winding roads, traffic, etc.) Either way, the expedition auto transmission seemed to handle things better than any other automatic I have ever driven.

What year is yours? I heard the 2019 programming was better than 2018 and I heard you could take the 2018 in for a reflash and it would improve.

OP
OP
D

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For the towing gas mileage being similar to V-8s, it's not surprising. A turbo system pumps more air into the cylinder, more air means more fuel can be burned and higher energy explosions occur. Basically when fully utilizing the Boost, you are increasing the capacity of the motor. I saw somewhere but can't find it again that at high boost the system is doubling the volumetric capacity of the motor. In other words your 3.5L is operating like a 7.0L.

I've noticed in normal driving and when towing with the 6 speed, that it effortlessly stays in a high gear when my other vehicles would have downshifted under the same conditions. For example in normal flat driving My 17 expy is in 6th gear at 45mph running smoothly! How can this be? Well Ford says that the Ecoboost uses 90% of it's peak torque from 1,700 to 5,000 rpm. Other vehicles with V-8s don't get to peak torque until 4 to 5,000 rpm. That's a lot of grunt at low rpms. No wonder it doesn't have to downshift as much as others. Under low load while maintaining higher gears, that's where we get the greater gas mileage.

http://www.f150hub.com/specs/ecoboost.html

Good info, and makes sense. The ecoboost seems to have a ton of power down low. Boost is never fuel efficient at max load, that's why its so much fun. My hemi wasn't fuel efficient at any load though but it was fun.

PHIL NOWASKI

Reaction score
I towed my 6000 lb. boat last year up a 5 1/2 mile 6% grade hwy. and did very well (2900RPM up grade at 65 mph). over all millage to Bass lake was 12.8 mpg. coming home was 13.2 mpg. round trip was 560miles. This last weekend went off-roading to Burro Schmidt tunnel in the Mojave desert the Expy performed better than I thought it would in 4 wheel drive.

RhinoQuartz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Duneslider, we share some similar results. I tow a 27' 9000#GVW travel trailer that weighs about 8200# on the scale including the tongue weight. My comparison was between an '02 Expy Eddy Bauer, 5.4l 2 valve Triton and 4spd in front of a 3.73ls and a '18 Expy Platinum Max, 3.6l EcoBoost and 10spd in front of a 3.37ls. Both have the HD Towing Package available at the time of manufacture. Neither has had any modifications other than a bug deflector on the front edge of the hood. I am retired and in no big hurry and while towing, I generally stay within 60-65mpg when traffic permits or I speed up if necessary while trying to maintain a safe stopping distance. Except for areas where the tranny would unnecessarily shift frequently, I generally use the cruise control for open highway.

For this apples to apples comparison, we towed this trailer from Texas to Alaska and back over the course of 4 months traveling north along the East Slope of the Rockies and back along the west coast and across Arizona and New Mexico. The distance was roughly 14,000 miles and about 10% of that was solo sightseeing adventures and 90% was towing on everything from flat and level interstates to day long stretches of barely 2-lane gravel with many grades mixed in on both types of roads. While the Platinum came with a slightly boosted version of the 3.6l that reportedly produces about 25 more hp on 91 octane vs 87, I stuck with 87 for these trips.

In 2014 we were obviously pulling with the '02 Expy. Overall fuel economy was 9.2mpg and necessary downshifts often bumped the tach to over 3500rpm. On extended grades like Raton Pass, I prefer to shift it to 2nd and drop in line behind the big trucks and climb at half throttle. Downhills on those type grades were also taken in 2nd with occasional light taps on the brakes to limit speed from the heavy trailer pushing us downhill. As be bought this Expy new in '01, none of this was new to us.

Last year we repeated this trip with the '18 Expy. Overall fuel economy was 11.9mpg, a bit over 20% improvement! As you noted, the tach rarely exceeded 2500rpm, but on a few 6% or greater pulls it did get up to about 2800rpm. This model also has Tow/Haul mode that I used. Also as you noted, it was always in the right gear, both up and down hill. What I was not anticipating was that if the cruise was set and going down hill, it not only downshifted to maintain the set speed, but activated the brakes if necessary. I first realized this by the reflection of the brake lights on the front of the trailer. There were times on rolling terrain that I would have preferred it to gather a bit of speed on the downhill and I'm sure those who were behind me wondered WTH I was doing. When I got into those situations, I switched off the cruise. Amazingly, the Expy sensed the downhill and did downshift, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't activating the brakes as it did with the cruise on.

In summary, the new Expy got exceptionally better overall MPG. It was much less tiring to drive. The interior ride was far smoother and quieter. The fake engine sound is pleasant to me, but seems corny, although it does sound like they tie the sound to the rpm and engine shifts and this sound seems slightly different depending on driving mode.

Wishes: Since Ford advertises this a great tow vehicle, they should offer extendable tow mirrors. I also wish the mode selector would remember the last used position.

@Fordalways I agree with your sentiments on the wishes. I really wish they had towing mirrors. I used some strap on mirrors and they are fine but it would sure be nice to have a factory looking option for tow mirrors. The mode selector remembering where you set it would be nice too. Not just for towing. I find it odd that if you set it to ECO it wouldn't remember that, since that seems to be a such a hot topic lately. Almost surprised the eco mode isn't the default. (I haven't determined if the eco mode actually gets better mileage though, haven't done enough driving with it to notice)

I'm not even sure my XLT does the fake engine noise, if it does, I haven't noticed.

That is interesting about the brake application and cruise control. I did notice downshifting to maintain speed on downhills without any input from me. The expedition holds speed really well on long downhills, almost as good as driving manual back in the day. I was very impressed, first auto I have ever driven that felt that good on downhills. This was very nice offroad on steeper dirt roads, I didn't feel like I had to ride the brakes to maintain a preferred speed.

I wonder if it would be possible to add the towing mirrors from an F150. I know they can be retrofitted to an F150 that doesn't have them, and the Expedition seems to take quite a few cues from it. Might even be from a F250, but it seems doable.

rumline

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I recall from a prior discussion (1+ year ago) I think the issue with the towing mirrors is due in part to the windshield rake being more on the Expy vs the F150/F250...the triangle where the mirror attaches are different shapes between the trucks and the Expy so it won't fit.

RhinoQuartz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I recall from a prior discussion (1+ year ago) I think the issue with the towing mirrors is due in part to the windshield rake being more on the Expy vs the F150/F250...the triangle where the mirror attaches are different shapes between the trucks and the Expy so it won't fit.

Ugh, what shit. Would probably take more effort than it's worth to retrofit it.

theLEFTseat

Reaction score
Hello,

I Just recently bought a new 2018 Expedition XLT MAX with MAX TOW Package and have less than 5000 miles on it. Last week I bought a brand new travel trailer that weighs 4755 and it had a full tank of water weighing 400 pounds so 5155 (not verified on the scales, just going by the sticker) I’m also new to towing a travel trailer. I made my first tow from the trailer dealer to my house about 150 miles away last week. I had an Equ-a-lizer anti-sway WDH installed by the trailer dealer. About 40 miles into the tow I started to smell a burning smell but it went away then came back about 20 miles later. I got concerned and pulled over but the smell dissipated and I couldn’t pinpoint it. I’m not sure if it was in the truck or out at the truck brakes. Coincidentally, the service manager from the trailer dealer called me while I was pulled over and said said, “Oh, btw, if you have anti-sway or traction control on your truck you should disable it with this hitch”. Of course it was enabled, so I disabled it and didn’t experience that smell again for the next 100 miles home. Can anyone with heavy trailer towing experience with a similar setup to mine comment on my post with your opinions, experiences, etc. Was the service manager right to tell me to disable the trucks anti sway? Was the burning smell most likely the brakes or the controller?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's no need to disable the "anti-sway" feature on the truck. I put it in quotes, because it's really just an automatic emergency sway recovery feature. It doesn't do anything to prevent sway, but does automatically perform the correct emergency actions (trailer brakes, etc) in the event of dangerous sway.

That said, did you check that the trailer brake controller is set up correctly? And if you think it's the trailer brakes getting hot, put your hand on the trailer's wheels and hubs. They should be cool enough to touch. If they're too hot to touch, it's a good indicator that there's a problem (which is causing your smell).

theLEFTseat

Reaction score
There's no need to disable the "anti-sway" feature on the truck. I put it in quotes, because it's really just an automatic emergency sway recovery feature. It doesn't do anything to prevent sway, but does automatically perform the correct emergency actions (trailer brakes, etc) in the event of dangerous sway.

That said, did you check that the trailer brake controller is set up correctly? And if you think it's the trailer brakes getting hot, put your hand on the trailer's wheels and hubs. They should be cool enough to touch. If they're too hot to touch, it's a good indicator that there's a problem (which is causing your smell).

The controller is the stock one that
came with the max tow package. The only testing I did was to make sure the gain was set correctly by squeezing the handles while the truck was in drive in a stopped position after letting off the floor pedal, which is what the WDH installer said to do. The trailer brakes held the truck back which is what the installer said should happen. On the tow I didn’t notice any pushing or pulling of the truck by the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: