Towing and offroading impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have to decide what you want: More towing and cargo capacity or more off roading ability. You can't have both unless you spend lots of $$$$$ for something custom.

Jeep Gladiator has nice towing capacity but limited cargo and do you really want to take a new 1st year model from Fiat way out into the wilderness where a tow for a breakdown is going to be a problem. Fiat seems to have brought the already low reliability of Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep down.

I would trust the 4runner though but again the offset of cargo and towing.

OP
OP
D

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jeep Gladiator will tow 7500# and go anywhere offroad you want to go.
Ford Raptor will tow around 7500# I believe and get you into plenty of trouble offroad.
Ford Ranger will get you to plenty of places offroad and I believe tows 7500#.
Any fullsize truck will do pretty good offroad and tow plenty.

Lots of options depending on what you really need/want. We had a lot of fun in our JKU as a family of 5 with a small popup camper. Now we have slightly different fun in the Expedition with a bigger camper.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I honestly don't think a 4runner can do much more than the expedition (stock to stock). A smaller vehicle would have a better approach, departure, and breakover but I just don't see you going on stuff that would be that difficult. I mean I saw a stock expedition go up baby lions back in moab. I do that in my wrangler but I don't think I am interested in doing that in my expedition but I guess it could do it.

The new jeep gladiator would be a sweet overland vehicle and will tow 7500lbs. The 4runners are only rated to tow 5000# so that trailer would have you maxed out or over the safe limit. A raptor would be cool and do what you want! The new Rangers look really nice and would be a little better offroad. All other options will feel cramped compared to the Expedition.

I would rock the Lincoln and ditch the 22's for some 18's and all terrains and go for it. Maybe look at the skid plate thread and add a few of those.

The first 4th Gen I saw was a Lincoln bombing a dirt road in Moab. That was when I realized my next suv wasn't going to be a Jeep (we had been waiting/hoping for the Grand Wagoneer to come out)
We wouldn’t do a 4Runner or raptor, raptor is just too wide. A ranger raptor could be a possibility if they make a US version but we wouldn’t buy anything until we see what shakes out with the upcoming Bronco. I will be making changes to the wheel and tire setup on my Navi but I’d like to keep the stock diameter of the current tire if possible. I’d really like to avoid a lift as well as I would only run that wheel/tire combo when needed. I know it’s a hassle to switch out but I still mostly drive on pavement and this is also our beach trip car so I don’t care to run hybrid tires for a 6 hour trip to the coast. I have air and a floor jack so it’s not that big a deal. Also, I have all the skid plates already that are in that particular thread, they came on the vehicle, but I wouldn’t mind something more substantial. A winch would be nice as well.

OP
OP
D

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That surprises me that the skids would come on the Lincoln...that's pretty cool.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have to decide what you want: More towing and cargo capacity or more off roading ability. You can't have both unless you spend lots of $$$$$ for something custom.

Jeep Gladiator has nice towing capacity but limited cargo and do you really want to take a new 1st year model from Fiat way out into the wilderness where a tow for a breakdown is going to be a problem. Fiat seems to have brought the already low reliability of Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep down.

I would trust the 4runner though but again the offset of cargo and towing.
I’d avoid anything related to Fiat and before they became fiat they were Chrysler and I have always avoided them as well. Agreed on the 4Runner. I get the whole trade off sentiment as well. If I find the Navigator can get to most of where we want than I’d stick with it. Otherwise we would consider something a little more geared toward off road with some tow capacity like the ranger, it does 7500lbs and from what I’ve read about the Bronco it looks like it will be a Jeep competitor with similar towing as the ranger.

bill_b

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just came out of a 2018 4runner limited for our Expedition.

Don't get me wrong our 4runner was a blast and it took everything I threw at it to lol. That being said there's simply no comparison when it comes to power/towing and even luxuries. We had the top trim level 4runner and I swapped out the 20s for 17s and all terrains with a leveling kit. The second row is a joke as soon as you throw a car seat or even a child back there. Don't even bother with the 3rd row unless you hate the person you're putting back there lol.

We will be replacing the 4runner with a couple SxS for significantly cheaper and a lot less stress about bashing a door off of a tree!

98256.jpeg

IMG_2720.jpg.jpg

IMG_20181013_151220334_HDR.jpg

IMGP4185.JPG

IMGP4197.JPG

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The problem with the 4-runners, JGCs, etc is the payload sucks. By the time you get the wife and kids, car seats, etc in it, there’s no more than a couple hundred pounds left for tongue weight. The only real exception is the current generation Discovery. 7500lbs towing, more payload than an Expedition and in a whole ‘nother league off road. The only reasons I didn’t buy one is I wanted room behind the third row and 8 passenger seating.