Towing - Gas Mileage Q

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So, I'm going to pick up my 1965 Dodge D200 Pickup from Eastern Washington on Tuesday which is 230 miles each way. The Uhaul trailer I'll be using weighs roughly 2,200lbs dry.

The price difference between me picking the trailer up here and picking it up there is $35+tax (picking it up over there and returning it here obviously being more expensive). That's roughly 10 gallons worth of gas.

So, my question is, they way I work it out, will my mileage drop 2.3mpg or more pulling the trailer over there? If so, I figure it'd be less money overall to pick the trailer up there and drop it off here (one-way rental). I get about 15.5-16mpg on the freeway so it'd have to drop to 13 or below towing the 2,200lb trailer to make it worth it to do the one-way rental. I'm obviously not expecting great mileage while pulling the trailer loaded with the truck, don't worry ;-)

Thanks!

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what part of wa you heading to, just fyi the uhaul in spokane would not rent to me with my expy last week

as for your question it would be about a wash on the price,

OP
OP
Mediamonkey11

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Going to Pasco, Wa. Leaving from Seattle area, then returning back to Seattle. They've already set up a reservation for me without issues :)

Why wouldn't they rent one to you?

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
they told me they are not allowed to rent any trailer of any size to a ford explorer, ford expedition or ford f150...

i was mad to say the least but i think mr counter guy didnt know anything

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
but i think mr counter guy didnt know anything

I can pretty much guarantee it! LOL
Not exactly sure what the Explorer issue is, but the Expy and F150 are MORE than capable of towing damn near anything! My last Expy with a 4.6L towed countless cars/trucks/racecars on my car trailer with zero issues. Just goes to show what you get when paying someone minimum wage to work the counter...

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can pretty much guarantee it! LOL
Not exactly sure what the Explorer issue is, but the Expy and F150 are MORE than capable of towing damn near anything! My last Expy with a 4.6L towed countless cars/trucks/racecars on my car trailer with zero issues. Just goes to show what you get when paying someone minimum wage to work the counter...

well i just spend the last 20 minutes with my local uhaul dealer that i was at and they still don't want to rent to me because it is against company policy to rent to me so i called the customer center for uhaul guess what they will rent me any trailer with a gross weight of less than 7000 lbs just stupid people

oh well i pushed the issue and fixed the problem

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get it there. My mileage dropped from 17-18 highway to 9-11 pulling a 6000 lb trailer/boat combo with the OD off.

OP
OP
Mediamonkey11

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Really? Bummer lol I just did the reservation! It's only 2k lb dry though...

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
irrespective, you will see a drop in mpg; something you're going to have to live with as it's physics.

I did a lot to my 1st gen to help decrease the loss, however for an occasional tow, so it goes. for long-term, would consider the options.

PanHandler.

96mustangV6

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I get about 10 pulling my race car trailer empty. But that's in town driving mostly. It weighs bout 2000#.