Towing mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rdubs20

Reaction score
does the mirror itself shake in the wind? I had a set of tow mirrors on my old truck that the mirror shook wicked when you drove it.

kmh1596

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On mine, it's the mirror glass that shakes. They are working on figuring out a way to stop it, as I'm not the only one to email and complain about it.

cman1120

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My glass shakes some too so if you find anything out from them in the form of a fix or a redesigned mirror please let us know. I love mine and I wouldn't go back to stock despite the shaking which I have actually found to be quite minimal.

kmh1596

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unfortunately, they said this is an isolated issue, and I'm the only one who has complained. They won't look into it, because they said nobody has an issue.. Even though I know a few from the Facebook Expedition group I am on have also emailed them.

Anyone have any ideas on how to tighten it up? I thought about bending the clips out that hold it steady against the mirror housing, but that didn't help either... They are mounted onto a cheap motor which is not very stable.

Trying to think of what I could wedge in there to make it tighter, so that I can still adjust it?

cman1120

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a slight shake too and I am going to take of my door panels and torque the crap out of the bolts. I may also try to put some rubber isolators/bushings between the mirror and the door and see if it helps any. I may also take some foam or something along that line and put it in behind the glass at certain points to snug it up. I have read about towing mirror glass shaking only with Dodges and Chevies but it should be similar enough the basic principals should work.

kmh1596

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It isn't the mirror base itself.. It's the glass. Take your fingers on the diagonal corners of the glass and try and move it. It's disappointing how loosely mounted it is in the actual mirror. Let us know what you end up doing.. If it is not securely mounted to the (weak) power mirror motor, not sure what foam will help.. but i'm willing to try anything at this point.

cman1120

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yours must be really bad it sounds like. Mine is slightly annoying but hasn't really bothered me a lot yet. I will let you know what fixes I try and the outcome of them. This is a common problem in Chevy tow mirrors apparently and dodge ones too.

kmh1596

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's bad enough to make it annoying to drive at night, and bad enough where I couldn't read a license plate if I needed to.

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My OEM mirrors rattle so much that I am unable to read plates if I needed to... That's one of the reasons I considered changing over to either these tow mirrors or the 3rd gen mirrors... Now I am leaning more towards the 3rd gen mirrors because they are a bit smaller and I would fit better in the trails with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk