Towing Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XLTExpoGuy2010

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just bought an 2010 Expo XLT, I was curious on how do I can find out the towing capacity for my truck? When I looked at the truck online on the dealers website under all features, it said it could pull up to 9,200lbs. With it stating that I just want to double check it, also if it isn't capable of that weight how would I go about upgrading it to an HD.

Last edited:
OP
OP
XLTExpoGuy2010

XLTExpoGuy2010

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Very true, didn't think of that. Lol let's say it didn't come with one what's my next option?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if you don't have the owners manual go to owner.ford.com and you can download the manual and any other manuals that would have been in the expy when new

also go to ford etis and enter your vin number and you will find information on what was on the expy when built

from the owners manual your max trailer weight would be 9000 lbs for 4X4 or 9200 lbs for 4X2

OP
OP
XLTExpoGuy2010

XLTExpoGuy2010

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its a 4x2 so according to the brouchre I downloaded regardless of gear ratio I have the capability of pulling the 9,200lbs. Now another question it doesn't have a brake controller or anything so is that something I should add on? Or what are some things I should upgrade to it?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OP
OP
XLTExpoGuy2010

XLTExpoGuy2010

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay I'll check it out today. If I have a 4 pin do I need to upgrade to the 7 pin? I read on another thread about a guy trying to convert it.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if you have a 4 pin connector you most likely have the light duty tow package.
Yes it can be up graded to 7 pin

again check on ford etis and you will see what was on the expy as built

OP
OP
XLTExpoGuy2010

XLTExpoGuy2010

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay thanks Roxy! But with a light duty I wouldn't be capable of that 9,200 correct?

It's going to used to pull a camper the size hasn't been fully determined, though I would say it'll probably be between 22-28ft. I do have some decent towing experience I help my father in law with a 5th wheel. So I have the concept of pulling down, just know I do have to get stability bars for the expo.