Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Too heavy. Try to stay under 7000lbs loaded. Payload is the limit, not trailer weight. At 840lbs, you'll likely exceed the payload limit once you load up. Purely anecdotal, but I suggest staying around 30 ft max. My trailer is 33 ft and I would not want to tow any longer. Also, highly suggest a Max if you're getting a big trailer. Extra wheelbase helps with stability.

Tripinbillie

Reaction score
What is the Payload on the yellow sticker on your driver side door? That’s what you need to go by. I’d also question the tongue weight estimate. Did you factor in the battery and Propane tanks? That can add upwards of ~100 pounds to the tongue.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’ll be close, what is the payload in the door jamb of your Expedition? That will be what determines what you can tow. Payload is eaten up fast on these half tons and you have to subtract tongue weight, passenger weight, and cargo weight out of that number. It runs out fast and widely varies depending how many passengers you carry. The tow rating isn’t really achievable unless you are towing a boat or the like with low tongue weight on the truck and the truck is empty.

As an example my ‘07 Expedition EL has a tow rating of 9,200 pounds. Sounds good right? But wait, payload says 1,580....if I have 920 pounds on the hitch (it says it’s rated for it!) I have 600ish left for capacity in the truck. 3 adult weight people in the truck? Maxed out! What about cargo? High and dry. Just be sure to account for all weights.

Last edited:

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Max tongue weight of trailer at max capacity is 837.
Where did you get that number? (It didn't come come from the salesperson at the dealer, did it?) I've never seen a "maximum loaded tongue weight" given as a spec on any trailer. The only number I've seen for a max tongue weight on a trailer is the number stamped into the coupler itself, but those are almost always much higher than the expected tongue weight.

Traditionally, folks pair travel trailers and tow vehicles by assuming the tongue weight is 15% of the trailer's maximum gross vehicle weight rating. For that trailer, you'd be looking at 7837*.15 or 1275lbs. The receiver rating on the Expedition is only 930lbs, so you'd be about almost 350lbs over. Your only options would be to pack lighter or play with how you load the trailer to move the weight off the tongue. But moving weight off the tongue is going make the trailer want to sway more...

OP
OP
R

Rebecca Hines

Reaction score
Here are the 2 stickers and then my WDH says 9300 on bumper.
Thanks for your help.

You’ll be close, what is the payload in the door jamb of your Expedition? That will be what determines what you can tow. Payload is eaten up fast on these half tons and you have to subtract tongue weight, passenger weight, and cargo weight out of that number. It runs out fast and widely varies depending how many passengers you carry. The tow rating isn’t really achievable unless you are towing a boat or the like with low tongue weight on the truck and the truck is empty.

As an example my ‘07 Expedition EL has a tow rating of 9,200 pounds. Sounds good right? But wait, payload says 1,580....if I have 920 pounds on the hitch (it says it’s rated for it!) I have 600ish left for capacity in the truck. 3 adult weight people in the truck? Maxed out! What about cargo? High and dry. Just be sure to account for all weights.

C0EC33EC-C4C4-4080-BF0B-2C38FD18236B.jpeg

4D12981C-B9A3-4040-B87A-FB9EFB3C0606.jpeg

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I decided your VIN. If you have a short wheelbase XLT, make sure you have HD tow package, or else you can't hit the 9300 max tow. It also appears that you have a taller gear ratio, which means more load on the engine. you'll want a shorter trailer, probably under 25 feet. Maybe someone with a short wheelbase Expedition can chime in. I've only towed with my long wheelbase and the wind will move you, even with sway control. You might want to rent a trailer and try towing to see what you'll be comfortable with long term. A 30 ft with your wheelbase will likely be uncomfortable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker