TPMS another question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

khpony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My other thread didn't help much. A simple question: does the spare need to have a tpms sensor for the system to work correctly?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if your other thread didn't help much what makes you think this one will

the same people read the threads so you most likely will get the same replies

OP
OP
K

khpony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Actually my question was part of the other thread but I never received an answer to it. I thought it might be prudent to ask this question in a separate thread. I had good responses to the other thread just not an answer to this.
Thanks!

OP
OP
K

khpony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its been on since I bought it a month ago. It has 2 brand of tires on it. I bought 4 new continentals today for it but want to troubleshoot the tpms system em before I pay to have them mounted/balanced. I have 4 new sensors but they lack programming. I've looked at buying the ford programmer on amazon for $35 but will still like to know if the spare needs a sensor.
Thanks!

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
that I don't know the answer to but you will need to have the new sensors programed
I would give a ford dealer a call and ask but let him know that you also may want to buy a sensor because one is missing tell a little lie

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont recall the light being on when my spare was off for various reasons...

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Principles of Operation

The tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) has the ability to monitor the air pressure of all five tires. The tire-mounted pressure sensors transmit signals to the TPMS module by using the valve stem as an antenna. These transmissions are sent approximately every 60 seconds when the vehicle speed exceeds 32 km/h (20 mph). The TPMS module compares each tire pressure sensor transmission against low and high pressure limits. If the TPMS module determines that the tire pressure has exceeded the limit, the TPMS module communicates on the SCP network to the vehicle message center, which then displays a warning message. The system is not affected by wheel and tire rotation.

Vehicle Message Center TPMS Messages

The vehicle message center sometimes displays messages that cannot be resolved by the customer. Treat these messages as TPMS system faults that must be serviced. Refer to the symptom chart for the following messages:

Warning—Tire Very Low

Displayed when one or more tires have very low pressure. When this warning message is displayed, a warning chime will sound reminding you to stop the vehicle as soon as safely possible and check the tires for correct pressure, leaks and damage.

Check Tire Pressure

Displayed when any of the tire pressures are high or low.

Check Spare Tire Pressure

Displayed when the spare tire pressure is high or low.

Tire Pressure Sensor Fault

Displayed when a tire pressure sensor is malfunctioning.

If the customer requests that the TPMS be turned off, it can be done by configuring the message center through the instrument cluster (IC), using the scan tool.