*********** TPMS module reporting in your Expedition (ForScan)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last fall I got some very nice 18" Ford rims off a 2004 F-150 for the Expy. They came with regular tire valves though, no TPMS sensor in them. New sensors would've cost more than I paid for the rims + tires... not interested.

I've just had them balanced and put them on last week. The TPMS module went completely apesh*t as soon as I turned on the truck with new wheels on, ringing cluster alarm, flashing dash light and coming on every time I would start the truck. It was initially reporting "tire pressure low" (no kidding, lol!) and then a new message started displaying "TPMS module fault".

I went into Forscan for the first time ever and thanks to some help from this forum, managed to deactivate the TPMS completely by changing one value. The TPMS is not reporting anymore. Turn the key on and no more BS errors like beeping, flashing, etc. What a relief! :)

Similar threads :

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/tpms-module-fault.41657/page-3#post-373185

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/forscan-2007-disable-tpms-or-turn-off-in-ic.38779/

Every version of Expedition seems to have a different code line for this, so I figured I'd post what it is for the 2014.

Default values (TPMS ON) :

For-Scan-IC-Default-Values-TPMS-ON.png

Modified Values (TPMS OFF) :

(note: I just changed the "6" into a "0" and hit "Write". Forscan gave me a "checksum error" and asked if I wanted to proceed. Click "Yes" and it will reprogram the module)

For-Scan-IC-Modified-Values-TPMS-OFF.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
762mm

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
...and here's why I did it. Originally, my SSV came with the Ford heavy duty steel rims (as can be seen in my avatar pic). I needed something nicer looking for the summer :

Expedition-F150-Mags.jpg

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a laptop just so I could turn those dam lights off with forescan but half the sellers said it won't work with my navigator so I sold the Dell laptop and got a plastic tube, put some old tire pressure sensors in it, scanned them, and it's all good now

OP
OP
762mm

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a laptop just so I could turn those dam lights off with forescan but half the sellers said it won't work with my navigator so I sold the Dell laptop and got a plastic tube, put some old tire pressure sensors in it, scanned them, and it's all good now

Yes, I remember the thread you made on it. That was thinking outside the box, my friend! I loved the simplicity of that idea.

I was contemplating doing the same, but honestly this is a far better and longer lasting solution. The whole TPMS is offline now : no sensor batteries or faulty modules to worry about, ever.

As for "not working" with your truck, you'll never know till you try. I just plugged mine in, set the HS Scan mode on the OBDII connector and followed the prompts. While I was in there, I noticed a few other interesting things in ForScan, such as bleeding the ABS system or resetting ABS module. Could get very handy next time I do brakes... best $20 you can spend, if you already own a laptop.

I also cleared all old keys from previous owners (6 in total), reprogrammed the two keys that I have and activated "unlimited keys" mode for future keys. I also found out that the Chinese ripoff Ford keys I bought (spares) don't have the right chip in them... and won't program. Overall ForScan is a great utility, with dealer-level options.

nando556

Reaction score
So glad I found this thread. Just bought a 2009 XLT 2WD Expedition second hand and 2 tpms sensors were dead (says discount tire).

I had the FORScan program and the obd2 adapter from my previous 2015 F250 that I did some customizing on.

With the instructions above I was able to disable TPMS completely and keep from getting warning lights every time I turn the car on.

As a side note, instead of 68FC in the first box, I believe my as builts read 48FC. Changed that 4 to a 0 and now it’s good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can the rear air suspension fault be turned off in a similar way? Previous owner swapped air for coils but didn’t leave the solenoids in. I’ve got that and the tpms warning to reset at every start up. It’s really getting on my nerves.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
...and here's why I did it. Originally, my SSV came with the Ford heavy duty steel rims (as can be seen in my avatar pic). I needed something nicer looking for the summer :

Expedition-F150-Mags.jpg

ha! I've got to chuckle at this. I had these rims and i swapped them out for the hd steel rims. because mine was used for some ranking bureaucrat weenie with access to our tax dollars, they bought mine with the fancy wheels. which I've been trying to get rid of for a few months, but no one interested.