Trailer Sway Control (TSC) "fighting" Andersen WDH?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What? Turn TSC off when towing with an Andersen WDH? I’ll have to look into that. Never have and my towing experience is solid. 2014 with full tow package.

ColoradoJon

Reaction score
I have an E3 bar system and a 2019 limited without the added Max wheelbase length. My TT is a 27 ft dual axle weighing about 7300 lbs loaded and 700 lbs tongue weight. I have zero issues with sway and regularly drive faster than I should pulling. Only issue was in Wyoming with a strong crosswind, we were being pushed back and forth on the road but it was manageable, I should have just slowed down. The trailer was tight right behind without any sway. I asked my dad who was driving behind me if he could see us being jostled and he said it appeared extremely smooth. My dad has an old chain wdh and he always has a separate sway bar that he would put on and he was always under 4k lbs. His trailer was a utility single axle with elevated clearance and we have pulled it with several types of vehicles and never had sway issues.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use my 2017 Exp Ltd for towing. We had a 17’ pop-up. I thought the single axel was my sway problem. Last Nov we bought a 27’ Jayco - dual axels. Still had the problem. Installed an e3. No help over 60mph. Was told by Ford the Exp rear end is factory set for comfort ride, not towing . Mine has HD Towing Pkg too! ABSOLUTELY nothing after-market to beef up the rear suspension. I was just told about the Hensley 3P-1400. $3400 but I might try it. Money Back Guarantee. Cheaper than buying a truck!
I have a ProPride hitch (same design as the Hensley) and have zero sway with our 33' trailer. The trailer is very stable, and the Expy and trailer move as one unit. However, I still get pushed around by wind and semis. We towed in 35mph gusts a few weeks ago and I was shoved all around the lane. There was no sway or continuous motion; it was just like the wind literally shoved the Expy and trailer sideways.

I have an E3 bar system and a 2019 limited without the added Max wheelbase length. My TT is a 27 ft dual axle weighing about 7300 lbs loaded and 700 lbs tongue weight. I have zero issues with sway and regularly drive faster than I should pulling. Only issue was in Wyoming with a strong crosswind, we were being pushed back and forth on the road but it was manageable, I should have just slowed down. The trailer was tight right behind without any sway. I asked my dad who was driving behind me if he could see us being jostled and he said it appeared extremely smooth. My dad has an old chain wdh and he always has a separate sway bar that he would put on and he was always under 4k lbs. His trailer was a utility single axle with elevated clearance and we have pulled it with several types of vehicles and never had sway issues.
We're looking to downsize to a 29' trailer, but this gives me some reservations. Crosswinds have been my biggest issue when towing.

Reaction score
I tow a 7000 lbs loaded 28 foot travel trailer using an Andersen WDH with my 2021 Expy Max FX4 with max tow. I turn off the TSC as requested by Andersen every time time I start it, along with switching to tow/haul mode. If you don’t, you can feel the rig shudder as the 2 methods of TSC fight one another. I’ve just taken their recommendation at face value, and my towing experience is sublime using this setup.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anytime I have had sway its been a result of improper tongue weight. If you have sway I would pay the few dollars at the CAT scale and figure out what your real numbers are.

GeoPaw

Reaction score
Thank you. The Sumo folks told me not to waste my money. I'll try the rear tire upgrade. Just put new Michelin's on the front.
After reading so much here, sounds like I need to trade up to a 4th Generation or newer.

ColoradoJon

Reaction score
I have a ProPride hitch (same design as the Hensley) and have zero sway with our 33' trailer. The trailer is very stable, and the Expy and trailer move as one unit. However, I still get pushed around by wind and semis. We towed in 35mph gusts a few weeks ago and I was shoved all around the lane. There was no sway or continuous motion; it was just like the wind literally shoved the Expy and trailer sideways.

We're looking to downsize to a 29' trailer, but this gives me some reservations. Crosswinds have been my biggest issue when towing.
I towed 3-4 other times with zero issue on crosswind. I think Wyoming is the most windy place you can drive, regularly blows Semis on their side. It was manageable but I should have slowed down. I have a problem being ok driving slow, not a good combo as I understand when driving with a trailer. We got 5mpg on one stretch, I wasn't using premium and was averaging 70 mph. I know better now. I am impressed by my WDH and trailer though, I also can't imagine doing that with another tow vehicle. The Ecoboost is crazy strong but super thirsty in that scenario.

timo482

Reaction score
the way insurance is these days - turning off a safety feature is something id never put in writing and id be real wary that it might get listed to the black box.. just saying

ryanpe

Reaction score
I tow a 6200 GVW twin axle trailer w/750 lbs of tongue weight with my '21 Expo FX4 with max tow. I have a Fastway E2 10,000 lb friction bar style WDH and my towing experience is sublime other than the 10 -12 MPG I'm subjected to. I have never shut off TSC. I would really question a hitch manufacturer warning me to disable a very important and capable system due to their hitch design.

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use an Anderson with this Expedition on two different trailers at this point and the setup has been rock solid. No sway including semi trailers passing, etc... Trailer is 6000lb+- loaded and towed 8000+ miles with this setup. I use to turn off the sway control and then learned about its notifications on the dash if it activates. I don't bother to turn it off anymore and it has never activated with this setup.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65