trans cooler - replace oem - anyone done this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andyak

Reaction score
Just saw this guy do the upgrade on his truck:

so manifold fitting:

AN lines /fittings: https://amzn.to/3J4VsWf

cooler: https://www.amazon.com/Tru-Cool-LPD47391-Pressure-Transmission-Cooler/dp/B0060NKA1U

Any thoughts as to the trans temps being too low? Not sure this would be good in cold climate...

He completely removed stock cooler that uses engine coolant. What do you guys think?
Anyone done similar?

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There was a big thread on another forum about the engine should not run cool as the various metals and parts need to interact with each other at the correct temperatures. But with the transmission most say you can run it cooler. But in reality the goal is to keep it at its optimal temperature in the summer and winter not too cold and not too hot. Increasing the cooler is always a great idea as long as it runs back through the engine coolant radiator.

The fluid goes from the trans to the external cooler then through the radiator so if its too cold like in cold climates it would raise it to the correct temp. The issues with a smaller external cooler is the trans fluid comes out very hot (towing up hills) (260deg) it goes through the external cooler and cools a little (240deg) but its still may be too hot and going through the radiator does not help much for the cooling (239deg). If you have a large ext cooler then it may cool down to 220 or 200 or 140 it does not matter as long as it close to the engine temp, it will then be warmed back up to the optimal temp.

As big of a external trans cooler you can install the better as long as it flows back through the engine radiator to keep it in optimal temps.

HILLY

Reaction score
A transmission can be run without running through a heat exchanger. The purpose of a HX is to get the trans up to an operating temperature quicker than if it were to do it itself. The quicker the trans is up to temp, the quicker it'll get to running full lock-up (better efficiency, MPG, emissions, etc.). This is also beneficial for those living in colder climes such as MI, ME, WY, etc., where it can get bitterly sub-freezing cold and take fluids forever to warm up to operating temps on their own. The downside as we see on these trucks is that the HX is not in the front radiator, but the coolant ran back to a HX at the transmission, so the coolest the transmission will even get is whatever the coolant is. So if the coolant is 220*, then the transmission will likely be at least that.

To add a transmission cooler inline with the HX, the proper routing is to place it AFTER the HX/radiator and before the transmission return line. The fluid is to be cooled after going through the heat up cycle. Hayden has a great explanation of how to use one: https://www.haydenauto.com/en/marketing/transmission-coolers . Some of these add-on coolers even have built in bypass thermostats to allow the fluid to get up in temp first. So a middle ground for our Expeditions would be to go to the HX at the trans first, travel up to a trans cooler at the front, and then make it's way back to the transmission input.

1696426892918.png

I used to have a 4Runner that I added a Hayden 698 cooler to after the radiator pass, and it would always stay steady around 160*. We made a move from MD-->SC where I had the truck completely loaded inside, a 21 CF box on the roof, and towing a tandem axle enclosed trailer and the temps never crossed 180*. I'm sure I was pushing weight capacities on this move, but I was always comfortable with the range I stayed in.

In other climates such as the south (AZ, TX, FL, SC) where we don't really see freezing temps, the HX or radiator can realistically get bypassed all together as the fluid should warm up fairly quick without issue. A lot of people do bypass the radiator loop for one reason or the other without issues.

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have run the Hayden coolers on multiple vehicles in the past and they have always pulled 15° + off of the transmission temps.

I was looking at putting one on the expy when I first got it but gave up after reading about the transmission fluid filling issues and warranty concerns. This 10 speed is a bit over designed in my book.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone know what temp the 10speed starts allowing Torque converter lock up?