Trans rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mechanic Matt

Reaction score
This expedition is my only rig (divorced) . The noise from the tranny sounds like a "rattling" noise in park or neutral. Put it in drive or any other gear and it instantly sounds normal"quiet". The truck Drives Normal. The rattling noise comes in a little while slowing down or coasting. Best I can tell, the noise is not there when the converter locks up at highway speed , but there is wind and road noise up there. I have plans to take it to the dealer tomarrow since I work alot and will probably have to rent a car. I feel stupid doing this since I rebuild engines and transmissions in semi-trucks for a living.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
loose inspection cover on the trans?

OP
OP
M

Mechanic Matt

Reaction score
I still think I need to take that cover off and look for a bolt coming loose on the flex plate to converter. There could be a possibility when the trans is in drive, the crankshaft in the engine moves away from the problem, as far as the crank thrust bearings will let it, and change the clearance. I am not sure yet. There are other reasons for taking it to the dealer. There are other problems with the rig, I have fixed most of it but my puter cant get the SRS light codes. I just want the rig to work right, I really like it.