Transmission bump, binding brakes, wrench light SOLVED PLEASE READ!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sbar09

Reaction score
Hey guys, its been a while since I posted but I wanted to share this tale of wasted money and infinite head aches...

Many moons ago I posted a thread looking for help with a wrench light and an intermittent no start condition. Well, 2 months ago I figured it out. Son of a *****.

Quick recap

My transmission was hang shifting, bumping on low speed down shifts, my rotors felt warped and I replaced them. Dropped my pan, new fluid, cleaned the magnet and pan...no change in any of the conditions. Then I noticed the brake peddle frequently felt soft and I had to pump them to get full peddle! Not too long after I got a mysterious wrench light with no symptoms. Ford laptop pulled a "transfer case can not find neutral" message stored, no CEL. mechanic could not figure it out, no symptoms. I let it go.

THEN i go the no start condition. Usually after longer trips. turn key, hear solenoid click, nothing. wait 15 min, starts up runs fine. checked fuel pressure, fuel pump, PATS.

THEN I got limp mode about 2 months ago. FINALLY A CEL with a CODE! well 8 of them...ether every single emission control sensor failed at the same time or I have a blown fuse. Sure enough, blown fuse. New fuse blows immediately. Now I have a short.

Now while I stared into the abyss of my engine compartment, crunching the numbers on how much the dealer would charge me to find my electrical problem I noticed a low handing wiring harness. The transmission wiring harness, which has all the O2 sensors, transfer case sensor, you name it sensor had fallen down onto the exhaust manifold and melted to it. The particular circuit also contained the brake position sensor, VCT solenoid, CPS, CSPS. Just every****ingthing.

Took my dealership 2 months to get it, the damn harness was on super back order. Then 6 hours and 2 hands worth of busted knuckles and bleeding forearms the new harness is in.

This harness cured:

brake problem! Went to test drive and holy hell the brakes stopped the truck fast with no binding. I assume because the peddle was firm with no pumping needed :********:
Hang Shifting
Poor shift strategy resulting in terrible power
small MPG increase
down shift bump

The fatal flaw here is the routing of the harness. It comes off the passenger inner fender wall, over the valve cover and a nice..Sharp, tight, turn behind the block.

My question to you guys is this. The harness still makes contact with the valve cover AND I dont know where to snap the retainers. Should I wrap the part contacting the valve cover with foil tape? Should I try to secure the harness on my own away from the valve cover (and ****ing exhaust manifold)

Thanks YAll!!

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Others on here have had the same issue. Any place that you expect a wear point you can add a section of wire loom to help protect the harness. Zip ties or high temp insulated clamps will secure the harness from the manifold.