Transmission Fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ravengotu

Reaction score
Hello, First off as new guy to the Ford Expedition and to this great forum.

We just bought a used 2014 Kings Ranch, and just found out that the tranny is pretty much not a DIY job. Very sad as I am an old man and have always worked on my cars in the past... Now the question..... The dipstick is inside the tranny and underneath to check it?

Thank you in advance

I hope you have great day

skinny8021

Reaction score
Changing the transmission fluid on these isn't too bad, but is definitely easier if you have access to a lift since there is no drain plug on the pan. I used a vacuum pump through the dipstick hole to lower the level before dropping the pan and it went fairly smoothly for me. The dipstick is located on the passenger side of the transmission just above the front side of where the transmission pan is located under a cover bolt (also next to the catalytic converter which makes this job unpleasant).
uid_level_40a1182ca1cc0dcc83a27735c2bcb6bce72f2e69.jpg
There are also some good YouTube videos on this like (https://youtu.be/LZGLpsRccAo) and it is the same as the F150 procedure so you may find more resources searching for that platform.

twodollars

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just changed fluid and filter on my 2013, and while is more difficult to fill and check, it's still pretty straight forward. Just a bit of a pain to fill and check. There is a stubby trans fill tube with a threaded in cap. Remove cap, underneath the cap is a short plastic indicator to check fluid level. You have to pump fluid into the trans, that's the biggest difference from a normal full length tube and indicator. I spent some time getting the truck up in the air and level to make the job a bit easier.

OP
OP
R

Ravengotu

Reaction score
Okay, so if 4 floor jacks and a very big drain catch pan can do this in the garage.... Great Idea and sure beats a 200++$$$$ job, plus I get to make sure all is good.

Thanks for that

espritv8

Reaction score
Did mine and make sure your truck is leveled

Ended up overfilling it, probably because the truck wasn't straight and it caused problems.

OP
OP
R

Ravengotu

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. This guy is so great for Ford. I did my 06 F 150 as this guy said to with my timing chains and stuff..Came out perfect

Thanks again

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes you can do this I did when ours had around 100,000 on it. Agree a thousand percent to do yourself to make sure it's done right. Good luck! Very straightforward

By the way I seem to remember there's a wiring harness that plugs in that has a o-ring that fails or a seal or something like that I want to say replaced that as well just as a preventative.

reklaw

Reaction score
I'm going to hi-jack this while we are on the subject. I've had my 2008 for right around a year and I'm leaking fluid from the gasket at the rear of the pan. I know these gaskets are reusable and I'm assuming the used car dealer I bought this from or previous owner screwed up tightening the pan bolts. Do you guys think I can just drop the pan and retighten the bolts in the correct pattern or do you think that I need to replace the gasket? I'm really not looking forward to buying 11 quarts of fluid to replace whats in the pan so I would prefer to not have to drop it all the way but I figured I'd ask those of you that have done this in the past.

inmanlanier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The below post has a lot of discussion on the same topic. Of my note, since you're only partially draining the pan, I ran the math on the number of times to drain and fill to get you to a reasonable amount of new fluid. I chose to do 3 drain and refills when I did mine (drain, refill, start & run until up to temp to open the thermostat and mix new/old fluid - then rinse and repeat). In my case I did it with a new pan with a plug to make it easy. Depending on how persnickety you are, my calcs came up with ~42% of the old fluid remaining after 1 drain and fill, ~18% remaining after the 2nd time, 7.6% after the 3rd, and 2.3% after the 4th (overkill in my judgement)