Transmission fluid level on dipstick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I feel like a knucklehead asking this question but where is the cold level on this dipstick? Is it before the dot? Or is it in the hashed area? The dipstick only shows cold, there's no "hot" indication even though the instructions say to check it when the transmission is hot. The photo in the owner's manual doesn't match what this dipstick looks like. Hot or cold, in picture one it looks like the transmission is most definitely overfilled. I took 36 oz out, and the level I'm left with is picture two. I took about eight more ounces out and got the level on the third picture, in the hashed area. Since I'm just below the hole on the dipstick I'm assuming at cold temperature, I'm good. Right?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 18
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220327_121201.jpg
    20220327_121201.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 19

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you checking the transmission fluid with the engine running and the transmission in park?

OP
OP
Password

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you checking the transmission fluid with the engine running and the transmission in park?
In park but engine off. I'm checking the cold level, not hot level. I'm under the impression that since I'm checking cold that the engine doesn't have to be on??

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In park but engine off. I'm checking the cold level, not hot level. I'm under the impression that since I'm checking cold that the engine doesn't have to be on??

Check your owner’s manual - but usually the transmission fluid level is checked with the vehicle running, and in park or neutral.

The level reads high on the dip stick with the engine off because the transmission pump is not running, and fluid drains into the pan.

With the engine running, the fluid level should drop on the dip stick. Some vehicles require the engine to be started, shifted (while stopped) into forward and reverse gears, then placed in park (on level ground).

OP
OP
Password

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check your owner’s manual - but usually the transmission fluid level is checked with the vehicle running, and in park or neutral.

The level reads high on the dip stick with the engine off because the transmission pump is not running, and fluid drains into the pan.

With the engine running, the fluid level should drop on the dip stick. Some vehicles require the engine to be started, shifted (while stopped) into forward and reverse gears, then placed in park (on level ground).
Ok, what you are saying makes sense to me now. I was hung up on there being a cold fluid level and thinking the engine didn't need to be on. I actually took out 16 ounces on the second measurement, not 8oz. I ended up putting back in half a quart and the fluid level looks good. Drove this morning and checked the level again and it's still within the hashed area.