Transmission Issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djock12

Reaction score
Hello, I have 2007 Expy EL (Eddie Bauer) and here is my issue. When I accelerate from a stop the truck tends to make a bump type of noise and the truck jerks and feels as though it will cut off. It's almost like it is trying to find the correct gear. It does this especially if I am starting from the bottom of a hill. I have taken it to a ford dealer and they couldn't find any codes (even though my traction control light comes on). When I turn off the overdrive the truck performs better and doesn't give me the hard bumping or shifting issue.

Has anyone experienced this before? It's really frustrating not knowing what the problem is. It didn't do this when I got the truck and I have had it for about two years now. Any help with this matter would be appreciated.

thanks

FlyBoyd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello, I have 2007 Expy EL (Eddie Bauer) and here is my issue. When I accelerate from a stop the truck tends to make a bump type of noise and the truck jerks and feels as though it will cut off. It's almost like it is trying to find the correct gear. It does this especially if I am starting from the bottom of a hill. I have taken it to a ford dealer and they couldn't find any codes (even though my traction control light comes on). When I turn off the overdrive the truck performs better and doesn't give me the hard bumping or shifting issue.

Has anyone experienced this before? It's really frustrating not knowing what the problem is. It didn't do this when I got the truck and I have had it for about two years now. Any help with this matter would be appreciated.

thanks

I have a 2008 and was having issues when stopping, I would hear an extra thump. I took it to ford and it took a couple of times before they found a recall they did. There is a method to fix it that they had to do and it went away. I am not sure if this is the same issue, but maybe if you ask ford about it they can tell you what years were affected.

OP
OP
D

djock12

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. Do you remember the name of the recall?

FlyBoyd

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Unfortunately I don't. I will go through my records to find out what the number was, but I wont be able to do that until tomorrow. It might be quicker to call Ford and ask. If they don't know I can let you know tomorrow night.

FlyBoyd

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Also it wasn't really a "recall" it was more of a fix that I only found out about because I told them to look at the tranny and it was covered under warranty. I have a feeling that the stealership will look at ways to charge then look to the ways that they have to do stuff for free.

Mailman

Reaction score
I had the same problem and the dealer reflashed the computer and that solved the problem.

mfeezy

Reaction score
Yeah, rough shifting is a common problem and Ford released a TSB to try to correct this. Just take it in and they should be able to reflash your transmisison control module to hopefully eliminate the issue.

mfeezy

Reaction score
FYI - I actually just took my 2008 in because of a shifting lag between 1st & 2nd gear and this is what they did per the service order: "Update PCM and TCM time to clear KAM and performed roadtest per TSB 08-22-7". This was all covered under warranty without any issues.

So there's the specific TSB that you can refer them to if necessary. And it seems to have worked for my truck.

jyoungky

Reaction score
FYI - I actually just took my 2008 in because of a shifting lag between 1st & 2nd gear and this is what they did per the service order: "Update PCM and TCM time to clear KAM and performed roadtest per TSB 08-22-7". This was all covered under warranty without any issues.

So there's the specific TSB that you can refer them to if necessary. And it seems to have worked for my truck.

Thanks for the info...My 2008 has the same issue. Guess I will be making an appointment...

BlimpinDave

Reaction score
Yes. Have the tranny reflashed. I have an 08 EL XLT.

It is part of the adaptive shifting logic. After a lot of fast acceleration it gets stuck in the fast rough shifting and the byproduct was the thump. I thought I literally dropped my transmission on the ground one day.

The reflash helped but it never would shift right for me. I had the tranny flushed by a competent dealer in Arizona. The one in Wasilla AK only knows how to overcharge for everything. They found it was a 1/2 quart low on fluid. Now it works great.

I almost sold it because of that but thankfully I didnt. It would have turned into an Excursion, so it wouldnt have been all bad.