transmission problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bernardo

Reaction score
i think something is wrong with my transmission. when i push on the gas to pass someone my rpm's almost maxed out with out moving until i let go and pushed it again then it took off like a drag car. it happened once before but nothing til today (about three times.) could it be my transmission? thanks for the help

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What gear were you in before the downshift? Do you have the 4R70W or 4R100 transmission in the truck? Did this just start out of the blue or after a modification of some kind?
Matt

OP
OP
B

bernardo

Reaction score
i was in drive. im not exactly sure what transmission i have but it just happened out of the blue

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
whin did you change the gas filter last?

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not where the selector is but what gear the truck was in before the downshift occured. If you can't tell try turning off the OD anc see if it will still do it. What speed were you going when you try to pass?

OP
OP
B

bernardo

Reaction score
i havnt changed the fuel filter in a while. i was planning on doin that when i change the oil, transmission, diff oil when i get a chance in the next two weeks. also im not exactly sure what gear it was in, but i was goin about 35-40 and the OD was off.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you are more than likely experiencing what is known as a downshift flare that can be caused by a lot of things in the trans. Instead of catching the gear below when the downshift occurs the trans is releasing the clutch packs of the higher gear and not grabbing the proper clutches for the lower gear. If you an accelerate from a dead stop and everthing seems alright through all the gears it may just be some trans in the valve body which is fixable a whole lot cheaper than if your friction materials are worn out. Take it to a trans shop and have them diagnose... the sooner the better.

OP
OP
B

bernardo

Reaction score
how much would it cost to get it diagnose? and about how long would it take to get it repaired if somethings wrong?

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
not sure... it depends on the problem. If it is truly a transmission problem then you should get it looked at ASAP. On some issues the longer you wait the more damage will be done and the more it will cost to fix once it starts damaging hard parts.....
Did you check the basics like fluid level (engine hot and idiling)?
Matt