Troyer Performance efan install do's and don't

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KenInCa

Reaction score
Hello all! Been lurking and learning. I did post something a while ago and got great responses and ended up buying the e-fan and underdrive pulleys as recommended. I do a lot of tooling on my 2003 ford expy 4.6L but only with a lot of help! :rolleyes:

I purchased the e-fan from Troyer performance and just have to say WOW! Great kit, although the instructions where a little too much for me. I know that he has to cover a huge variable in different cars/trucks, but for me it was information overload. But I managed.

The Pulleys were the BBK, from autoanything.com and was ok, but the instructions were lacking and the diagrams where poor. I was able to manage with help of the forums as others have done!

Ok here's what I learned:
E-Fan:
1. Wear fingerless gloves as the radiator will shred your hand.
2. when using the copper rods to secure the fans, take a little time to put a pencil tip (sharpen the tips) but not needle sharp, will damage the radiator less and make the rubber stoppers go on easier
3. Buy a light circuit tester. I know the volt meter will work, but just having the satisfaction that the little light bulb go one when you find the right wire is just sooo cool!
4. Put a thick blanket over the radiator and body, so that your chest has something soft to lean against. I have too many bruises, that it bothers me when I breath.
5. When finding the AC compressor clutch wire, the engine has to be "RUNNING". Did not know that, and spent 2 days trying to figure out why my little light bulb wasn't glowing! Errrr!
6. Buy from Troyer! Yeah you can do this cheaper, but I gave in and called him and he explained why I wasn't getting a light (see #5) and if I would have called earlier, I would have got a little, NO... a lot more sleep! If I would have bought in pieces, I would still be working on it, or worse, putting the old stuff back on!
7. Test the system prior to taping and wrapping things up neatly. The splice connector (for accessory & AC clutch wire) didn't like the hard casing and small gauge and didn't make a good connection. Took about 30 minutes to unwrap those parts!

Ok now the Pulleys:
1. Poor instructions! read the FAQs online! It was an 8 groove pulleys and my belt is a 6 groover. Thought they sent the wrong kit, but it states that it will work just fine.
2. use red locktite on the pulley piggyback bolt that attach the 2 pulleys together and NOT on the bolt to secure the pulley to crankshaft.
3. Not sure if this is correct, but followed the hayes manual on this step, as it seems a little "light" for the crankshaft bolt? I read somewhere it should be tighter,but if I'm wrong please let me know! the instruction sheet just says to tighten it up to 60 foot lbs and thats it.
a. tighten pulley to 67 foot lbs
b. loosen bolt one turn
c. tighten back up to 39 foot lbs.
4. Put the water pump pulley on last as it gives a little more room to fool around with the crankshaft pulley set.
5. take off the alternator to install the pulley and use an impact wrench to install/remove nut. I almost ruined it by trying to put a screwdriver to stop the internal fans from turning, so I could undo the nut. When I kept adding force I knew I would bend/break the fan(s), so I stopped.

Ok, that's it. I hope that this will help us "less experienced" weekend mechanics out there!

Cheers,
Ken:cheers:

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

hoonyoo

Reaction score
Did you do something on your alternator as well? Hope it won't overload the alt.

thebuckaman

Reaction score
Are they still in business? Phone numbers are dead and no email response

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if phones are dead...good indication...have u checked their website?

thebuckaman

Reaction score
Yeah. Website Still looks live and well . Tried both phone numbers and they come back invalid. Bummer. I liked that 16" fan kit

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
search the p/n's u may find someone selling them and check summit racing