UCA question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logan97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've read through a lot of threads on here and can't find a definite answer. I will be lifting my 07 expedition 2.5in, do I need to replace the uca's or will they be okay with this lift? If I need to replace them please recommend some and if there's anything else I should do let me know. I've only ever lifted one vehicle in my life and didn't have to worry about replacing anything else, so I want to make sure I do this right before taking everything apart.

Frank Wilson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You will be fine going 3" front, 2" rear. Over 60k on my UCAs.
These aren't Baja Racers and will never be boulder crawlers, so "droop (or drop depending on what youtube vijayos you watch ) " is irrelevant.

OP
OP
L

Logan97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You will be fine going 3" front, 2" rear. Over 60k on my UCAs.
These aren't Baja Racers and will never be boulder crawlers, so "droop (or drop depending on what youtube vijayos you watch ) " is irrelevant.
I only use this thing on some dirt roads, desert driving, and occasionally through the woods up north, nothing crazy. Definitely would never rock crawl in this thing, be to scared to damage the underside

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FYSA:

By adding things like longer shocks or coil spacers, you will bottom out even sooner b/c you have already maxed almost 2/3rds of your downward travel by simply raising your vehicle.

My 2 inch shock lift bottoms out my front UCA on my spring. That means it does so FOR EVERYONE lifted past a certain point (w/o aftermarket UCAs)

I can assure you, it does not take much to lift a wheel if you go off-road (ask me how I know) unless flat/beach/gravel/sand/snow road stuff and there are no undulations or ruts and you don't drive fast over bigger bumps.

Further, if your UCA gently hits your coil--which for most people here if they droop--it will damage nothing unless somehow it gets caught and even then probably will pop out easily.
Just go into it with full knowledge.

What this guy is doing is not even remotely excessive, andi f this was our trucks (w/o aftermarket UCA) you will be hitting your coil spring at max droop (as seen here) because droop is increased with certain lifts.

Last edited:

Roast4570

Reaction score
I was worried about it too. I threw new UCA’s on it as they were thicker and had changed the angle of the ball joint to keep the ball joint from being cranked to the max with the lift. Freedom off-road.

OP
OP
L

Logan97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was worried about it too. I threw new UCA’s on it as they were thicker and had changed the angle of the ball joint to keep the ball joint from being cranked to the max with the lift. Freedom off-road.
How long have the new one's lasted?

OP
OP
L

Logan97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FYSA:

By adding things like longer shocks or coil spacers, you will bottom out even sooner b/c you have already maxed almost 2/3rds of your downward travel by simply raising your vehicle.

My 2 inch shock lift bottoms out my front UCA on my spring. That means it does so FOR EVERYONE lifted past a certain point (w/o aftermarket UCAs)

I can assure you, it does not take much to lift a wheel if you go off-road (ask me how I know) unless flat/beach/gravel/sand/snow road stuff and there are no undulations or ruts and you don't drive fast over bigger bumps.

Further, if your UCA gently hits your coil--which for most people here if they droop--it will damage nothing unless somehow it gets caught and even then probably will pop out easily.
Just go into it with full knowledge.

What this guy is doing is not even remotely excessive, andi f this was our trucks (w/o aftermarket UCA) you will be hitting your coil spring at max droop (as seen here) because droop is increased with certain lifts.

Are there any other pieces I should change out while I'm in there? Everything is stock on mine except the rear suspension I took the air bags off and put regular shocks like the front. Personally I don't trust air bag suspension unless it's on the bus I drive.

OP
OP
L

Logan97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The UCA's on freedom off road, did you buy the black or silver one's? I like the look of the black but the silver sounds like it'll be more durable based off description.