Undercoating for rust prevention?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

RC Fan

Reaction score
I’d really like to use Fluid Film. Unfortunately, we don’t have anyone who applies it here.

I’d really like to get the kit and do it myself! Realistically how hard is it? I’ve watched several of the videos—seems doable to me.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’d really like to use Fluid Film. Unfortunately, we don’t have anyone who applies it here.

I’d really like to get the kit and do it myself! Realistically how hard is it? I’ve watched several of the videos—seems doable to me.

Do you have an air compressor? With the kit it is easy. Napa Auto parts sells the kit and the film in 1 or 5 gallon pails or buy online from others. Another alternative is to rattle can it with Fluid Film, Lowes and others sell it. With the kit I only use the long extension wand for all exposed underbody areas...better control. I drill holes in the doors and use the wand that sprays in a circle at the tip. Unfortunately the only thing that would make it super easy for me is a lift...I presently do all mine on the ground or jack stands.

OP
OP
R

RC Fan

Reaction score
Do you have an air compressor? With the kit it is easy. Napa Auto parts sells the kit and the film in 1 or 5 gallon pails or buy online from others. Another alternative is to rattle can it with Fluid Film, Lowes and others sell it. With the kit I only use the long extension wand for all exposed underbody areas...better control. I drill holes in the doors and use the wand that sprays in a circle at the tip. Unfortunately the only thing that would make it super easy for me is a lift...I presently do all mine on the ground or jack stands.

I do have access to a compressor and ramps.

It seems the Achilles Heel of undercoating is the poor application done by auto shops. I am really OCD when it comes to car care, so I feel like I would take my time and do a thorough job.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fluid film or an oil based coating is the way to go. Attracts dirt and debris to the coating and helps keep moisture and oxidation away.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score

You are in Canada you likely have a Krown applicator near you.

https://www.krown.com/en/

Essentially the same idea as Fluid Film

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Best thing you can do is wash the vehicle the next day of being out in the snow and salt. Best not to park in a heated garage till its cleaned up.

Jigstick

Reaction score
Is Fluid Film safe for the factory coating on the 2018 Expy frames? My 2018 has 1500miles on it, and Im wanting to get Krown or FF on it. But I don't want either to eat off the factory frame coating.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They also spray brine on the roads in my area, and I'm just religious about washing the vehicle and using a carwash that sprays from the bottom, and I also manually spray down my engine bay to get the salt off. As a guy that enjoys working on my vehicle, I can't imagine how nasty it would be to have oily/tar like undercoating sprayed on everything if you're trying to work under the vehicle. Also curious if the places that apply the coating remove all the underbody skid plates/shields prior to applying the product. Many of the skid plates/shields have drain holes for all water to drain which would need to be maintained to avoid water pooling on top of the skid plates/shields.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why not just spray a rattle can bedliner product?

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You guys don't understand what Fluid Film is. Bedliner product or any paint or hard coating does not stop rust. It dries and moisture gets behind it and then the rust starts. FF does not hurt paint, in fact some use it as a polish. FF is not messy after a few days. It stops rust from starting and stops rust from spreading like once the Expy rockers start. You have to apply it annually and I check coverage every 3K oil change and touch it up if necessary. I spray the brake calipers, driveshafts, rear diff, tranny, anything underneath that looks like rust is starting. Nothing else works on preventing rust forming from road treatments. You still need to rinse off the salt but only use cold water as hot will remove the FF.