Update all versions of Ford Sync 3 to the latest Sync 3.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, everything updated fine to 3.4. As it turns out, it's an issue with the non-nav version not having enough RAM to handle the update suggested using the third memory stick. I'm redoing the files in the 'step 2' now to just reformat it with the latest version (thus skipping the need for the 3rd update).

To explain this another way, the 1st memory stick sets it up, the 2nd memory stick 'reformats' it with 3.4 and the 3rd memory stick 'updates' the version of 3.4.

I'm changing it to reformat it with the version that it would deliver in the currently listed 3rd step.

details: yes, had rebooted twice; SanDisk 256gb usb sticks

Excellent! Great workaround. The Non-Nav versions are very limited. So it makes perfect sense!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

zoey2015

Reaction score
Really liking the gauge cluster turn by turn directions now using google maps on Android Auto.

View attachment 34058
How do you set up the gauge cluster turn by turn directions using Google map on AA? I recently upgraded to 3.4 and I have a 2018 Expedition with Navigation.
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

expeditiondriver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For any ofyo
How do you set up the gauge cluster turn by turn directions using Google map on AA? I recently upgraded to 3.4 and I have a 2018 Expedition with Navigation.
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I can't figure this out either.

expeditiondriver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alright, here is a quick overview (as of January 23, 2020) of how to get to 3.4 19274 if you have the non-nav version of the head unit (because you will get a memory error if you try to update 3.4 instead of reformatting to 3.4 19274).

Step 1 = same as the link provided, format USB1 to get the system ready for an update
Step 2 = you have to replace two of the files on the USB2 with files from step 3, and also edit the reformat.lst file to reference these new files

USB2 is as follows, starting with the AIO option for non-nav US:

reformat.lst
SyncMyRide/
4U5T-14G423-CA_123766.tar.gz (keep as is)
5U5T-14G381-CJ_1571083986000.TAR.GZ (add from 3)
GB5T-14G386-AB.tar.gz (add from 3)
5U5T-14G391-CB_133518.tar.gz (delete)
5U5T-14G381-AP_1555085337000.TAR.GZ (delete)

the reformat.lst file should look like this:

APPS=5U5T-14G381-CJ_1571083986000.TAR.GZ
VOICE=GB5T-14G386-AB.tar.gz
GRACENOTES=4U5T-14G423-CA_123766.tar.gz

Works great for me now. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:

expeditiondriver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
BTW, I didn't want to deal with this before because everything on the truck was fine and it sounded like a big PIA with some potential to wreck the head unit (many USBs, etc.) but it's pretty easy to do - just plug in USB, unplug, plug in the next one. Worth the effort.

Johnb21

Reaction score
So I completed the update to 3.4 and everything seems to be working smoothly over the past week. Although, I do have issues at times sending texts through Andriod Auto, but not sure if it is my phone, but it did start to give me trouble after the update. I am getting notifications on my Ford App to do an update. I have turned off automatic updates through wifi OFF. Logic says to keep updates off, but I wanted to check with you folks. Thanks!
2018 limited 302a pkg.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So an interesting development for my system over the past few days. When I try to use the iPhone and either Apple Maps or Waze and enter an address to navigate to, my system crashes. It just goes black and unresponsive. I have to disconnect the cord and either do a hard reboot (power plus FF button) or stop the truck, open the door and then restart the truck. Now, I won't curse it yet as it might be my knock off lighting cord that is causing the issue. So I will try it with an OEM apple cord.

But this could be a big PITA if it is the system.

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go do a little Googling.

FORSCAN is a 3rd Party utility.

They do not supply the Firmware. It is FORD Firmware. FORSCAN has a dev version of their software that lets you do module flashing, and that is something ONLY the most confident should try.

Other than that FORSCAN is used to do diagnostics, and make changes to settings inside the Modules. Settings like how many times the blinker flashes when you hit the turn signal and things like that.

Hope that helps. Go do some googling. There have been a TON of write ups on FORSCAN and YouTube videos. Plenty out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for hanging in there with me on the n00b questions. I understand the differences now. I'm in the industrial automation industry (pharmacy specifically) so I liken FORSCAN to Visual Studio or RSLogix...tool used to build/edit "something" you create.

I had (mistakenly) believed FORSCAN was a Ford tool...probably because of the "FOR" in the beginning...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01