Upgraded Brake Systems anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has upgraded their rotors and calipers to something a little more powerful with more initial bite?

I’m not used to truck based SUV’s and prefer sports sedans so this has been a big adjustment for me. If I’m going to keep this SUV for 6+ years like I plan then I need a little more braking power or initial bite when I push on the brakes.

What do people recommend here?

If it’s not outrageously expensive I wouldn’t be against ripping and replacing with a Brembo or Wilwood type system with larger rotors if they exist for our trucks?

Or would a really nice set of pads give me more bite and less squish in the pedal?

I wouldn’t want to affect the auto/emergency braking systems with any change.

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Never experienced that. I’ve owned 4 or 5 sets.

Would you say the stopping power and overall feel are improved with the pad upgrade?

I’ve never replaced pads with anything other than OEM. I’m looking for more prompt braking action instead of the immense amount of travel before braking is initiated but also just want more confidence and stopping power overall.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've heard stainless steel brake lines help with pedal feel. Haven't done it myself though.

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've heard stainless steel brake lines help with pedal feel. Haven't done it myself though.

Yea I’d go with pads the. rotors and calipers before brake lines.

Has anyone done full after market brake rip and replace?

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These don't feel that bad to me, I feel like these days just about any American SUV is going to have somewhat soft brakes. Personally I'd much rather go find a cheap truck (as a third vehicle to have since this thing is on the ship so much) for the $5,000+ you'd spend on a full big brake upgrade. But I almost always end up replacing factory pads and rotors, just don't go to the extreme of calipers etc. I've had good luck in the past with slotted\cross-drilled rotors from power stop.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea I wouldn’t spend more than $1000-$1500 for this but if pads are good enough that’s great!