Urgent Help with expy 98

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
I

isanchezgdl

Reaction score
The alternator was fixed the last year, there is a way for check if the alternator is ok? The only lights flashing and just one or two times are oil and gas, at same time, after that the truck turn off .

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
to clarify, you say oil & "gas" lights flashing?
is your oil pressure gauge reading correctly? I deduce your oil level is o.k. too?

ArtGamer60

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Disconnect the positive lead from the battery , while it is running , be careful not to short it , if it dies ? most likely the alternator , you didn't mention a dead battery ? or problems starting it , as far as electrical ? look for a broken or loose wire ...

diesel3

Reaction score
as already stated by another member on this thread, the 1st gen expeditions had dash problems with weak sodder joints, mine did its a 99 xlt. but if its killing your truck, i dont think your dash is the problem. you asked how to check your fuel pump? you can have the pressure tested at the fuel rails and compair with pressure specs for your model year. also some vehicles have a safety shut off on the oil sending unit that will shut your engine down if oil pressure gets too low to save your motor, dont know if the expeditions have them but if they do, when your oil light flashes on it would most likely shut your motor down

ArtGamer60

Full Access Members
Reaction score
" when shutdown if I turn of the switch and open again I don't have any indication lamp turned on before start, as allways happen when you insert the key and turn to start, all lighs come on, and that don't happend I need wait a few for start again and see all the lights on in the dashboard. "

It almost looks like a short , or a relay ? The dash should light up resetting all your gauges and idiot lights upon restart , you have to wait ? for it to cool off ? hmm

OP
OP
I

isanchezgdl

Reaction score
For oil gas lights I mean the yellow low fuel warning light and the oil/temp warning light, the pressure gauge is ok, and also the fuel gauge.
This lights flash for one or two times before shutdown.
The battery charge is ok, 14 running and 12.4 turned off, but but 3 times where it shutdown today all the lights that normally turns on when open your switch before start your engine (battery, Abs, a4wd, 4x4, low fuel, etc) not turned on when I open again the switch to start possition, just a few seconds latter and then start normally.
I have a question about the alternator test, if I disconect the positivo pole of the battery and the alternator is fine, the truck will stay running? Or after some time will shutdown? And if the alternator is bad, how fast will turn off the engine after disconect the positive pole? I will do this as soon I know the answer.
Thanks for your help

ArtGamer60

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It should stay running as far as the alternator always , it will run off of the battery if the alternator is bad and slowly discharge your battery hence disconnect ( easy test ) I wonder if it is the ignition switch itself ? so you turn it off ? and get nothing ? it doesn't stop running and die ?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your alternator is fine by the readings that you posted. You most likely have a loose or broken connection that is cutting power to the dash/pcm. Since you have to cycle the ignition switch repeatedly that would be the second thing that I would look at. The first being good battery and ground connections.
From the diagram on FordParts.com it looks like the ignition switch is located towards the back of the steering column on the underside. I would also check the connector that plugs into the switch for obvious damage from heat - browning of the connector.

OP
OP
I

isanchezgdl

Reaction score
Alternator test pased. Tomorrow I will check connectors in gas pump and the ignition switch. I will keep you informed. Thanks to all. For today I think is all.

BANGEREXPO76

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sir,

how old is your alternator? these are similar, not all, symptoms i had when my alternator went bad. it would just shut off, sometimes restart, and barely stay running with many lights/indicators flashing on the dashboard.

for fuel pump, you should hear it energizing when you turn the key to the first position prior to engaging the starter. Is there any chance that someone hit your vehicle and it triggered the fuel cutoff inertia switch? I've never heard of it doing this, but have to ask. I'd check that connector too...should be on the passenger side kick panel to the right and below the glove box. pull that panel off and push the button.

PanHandler.

I was gonna mention the alternator but I see you already did the check there.

Last edited: